◆Chapter 40◇

Miyuki huffed out as she neared the finishing line. Sir Nighteye and Mirio stood on either side of it this time and again at a reasonable distance so they didn't catch any wind in their hair from her running.

Jogging had been a morning routine of hers for a long time, yet this one managed to take a lot out of her.

Miyuki bent over her knees once she completed the twenty-fifth lap. It was an intense start to the morning, as evidenced by the sweat rimming her hoodie's collar.

"How did..." Miyuki panted. "I do... this time?"

"A minor improvement," Sir Nighteye responded as he checked the machine. "You were running at a speed of 7,201 metres per second. Well done." His daughter straightened herself, shoulders slumped.

She ran one extra metre faster? Miyuki supposed it was still good. She was progressing, even though it may not have been as quickly as she hoped.

"Thank you," she said, bowing politely to her father. Sir Nighteye instructed them to then move to the combat training area.

Miyuki walked slightly behind the two older males and she cast glances at Sir Nighteye when he pushed up his glasses. He did so stiffly, his expression flat and his yellow eyes were focused intently on the path ahead of him. His behaviour brought to her mind Katsuki.

She wondered how he was doing at his internship. From what she understood, he was in Tokyo at one of the big four's hero agencies. She wondered if he was training hard, as well. She considered calling him last night, but then thought better of it, so she sent him a text instead before proceeding to call her other friends and classmates. He hadn't replied, although he had seen the message.

Miyuki's eyes wandered from the ground back to her father. His expression hadn't changed in the slightest and was drawn in a taut expression. Was he thinking deeply about something?

"Yucchan," he called. Miyuki jumped slightly, still not used to this name and because she was pulled out of her thoughts.

"Ye-Yes?" She responded.

"Did you get enough rest last night?" He asked her.

"Uh, y-yes, sir - I mean, Oto-San, " she answered him. Miyuki's pale cheeks turned a rosy red. Why was she stammering so much? She needed to speak more clearly! "Thank you."

Just as she was about to look away, she thought she saw the corner of his mouth tugging upwards.

"Good," Sir Nighteye stated. Miyuki looked up at him, then a smile made its way onto her face.

She had just met him in person, but Miyuki found her dad was the silent type. It made her wonder - is that where she got her quietness from? She wondered what else she could have gotten from him...

My Eagle vision?

His Quirk was Foresight, though. He could see into the future, not distances. Quirks tended to be hereditary. So why didn't she have a time-related Quirk like her father?

"I want you to use the other side of your Quirk today," instructed Sir Nighteye. "It's crucial that you have mastery over the two individual halves."

Miyuki nodded, pursing her lips as she got into a fighting stance. The room had fairly large windows, allowing in large rays of sunlight. There weren't many objects around, but the few peesent were large enough to cast sizable shadows. However, they were far from her. Would she be able to call them to her in time?