◆Chapter 86◇

Some Days before the Battle in Kyushu - HPSC:

"Is this really necessary?" Hawks questioned, dubious, as he stood across from the woman with the stoic expression.

"It's a proposition," the president responded, her tone as cool as the blue of her suit. "By going after the League of Villains from the inside and outside, we can cut off their retreat for sure."

"Proposition!" Hawks scoffed. "You're calling it that even though you know I can't refuse. That's mean."

"I'm not denying that, Hawks," she said, arms tactfully folded across her chest. "Fortunately, you were unable to make it to Camino."

"In addition," the white-haired man spoke up, his tone flat, "by going into their ranks, you'll be stepping into the gap another operative has made possible for us to fill."

"'Another'?" Hawks asked, raising a brow in question. "Ha! If you've already got someone doing this, what do you need me for? You're clearly already confident enough in their skills to have given them this assignment."

"I'm sure you're already familiar with them. They have been, after all, close to the incidences that have occurred these last few months," the president replied. "While that is the case, she isn't working within the League. By taking this on, you'll be accelerating the process she has already begun."

"It's what you're good at," the man added, hands clasped behind his back.

It didn't surprise him in the least how far deep their hands had gone into this already. The fact that he'd been approached with this 'proposition' days before the new Hero Billboard Chart rankings were announced went to show just how long they'd been weaving this web into place.

This felt like something straight out of a movie, although it was an expected surprise. Given All Might's recent retirement shortly after the Camino incident, villains weren't going to waste time to strike fear into the hearts of the people of Japan.

It seemed like they already had, for him to be here, which was fine. He understood.

Fear, especially of the unknown, was a powerful driving force strong enough to bring any great man to heel. In that, freedom was no different.

"Will I get to meet her soon?" Hawks asked casually, stuffing his hands in his pocket. An amused smirk made its way onto his face. "Is she cute?" The president scowled.

"You might," she responded, her tone stoic. "As I said, you may already be familiar with her... or her family, for that matter."

Someone important, huh? He thought. Hawks' smirk widened, his eyes closing with resolution. Then, it makes sense why she's being so hush-hush, unlike always.

"Well, in that case..." he swept into a graceful bow, causing a few of his red feathers to flutter off of his wings. "The secret investigation into the League of Villains... If getting my hands dirty would help everyone else rest easy, then I gladly take it on."

After their drill ended, the rest of the school day carried on as normal with uninterrupted classes. Miyuki found the day quite leisurely, even though it remained rather busy, which she was happy for since it gave her an opportunity to visit Eri that afternoon.

When she got to the teachers' dorm, she found the younger girl already engaged in a board game with Mirio. She was wearing a bright pink dress this time with a cozy jumper and her bangs were neatly held back by a pair of butterfly clips.