◆Chapter 24◇

"I... choose..."

Go on, Miyuki.

She looked at Katsuki. She had more experience working together on a team with him than she had with either Izuku or Shoto. That experience wasn't very persuasive, though, since she now had a better understanding of what he was like as a person and what he could be like as a teammate. Miyuki had no intentions of being his underling.

As for Shoto...

He was neither Bakugou nor Izuku and she certainly wasn't going to let personal feelings influence her decision.

Izuku was her first choice. Although, the one million points sitting around his head made him an immediate target and everyone would no doubt go for his team with everything they had straight away.

Miyuki closed her eyes and exhaled curtly.

"...Todoroki-Kun." She bowed politely to him. "I'll join your team." She turned to Izuku with a small frown. "S-sorry, Izuku..."

"No worries, Yuki-Chan!" The green haired boy gave her a close-eyed smile. "Let's both do our best!"

"Blasty..." When she turned to the ash-blonde, the space where he stood was empty. Katsuki was already walking away, hands in his pockets. There was a small tick mark on his face; not that she could see. "O... kay..."

Miyuki walked with Shoto to the rest of the team, which consisted of Tenya and Denki. She felt glad to be on a team with the two of them.

"I chose you three because I thought it would be the most stable formation," Shoto told them. "Kaminari, you'll be the left wing, keeping the enemy away with your electricity. Iida, you'll be in the front as the main source of mobility and physical defense. Shizuka, you have a visual quirk, right?"

"Yeah," Miyuki confirmed. She wondered how he knew that... but he might have noticed her eyes during the obstacle course. "I have two: one that lets me see from a great distance and another that allows me to see in the dark."

"Good," Shoto said to her. Miyuki nodded, and he continued. "Keep an eye on opponents. Use your light to help me on my right ice side and, if need be, to distract opponents."

"All right," Miyuki said. She figured this might be the case and she was fine with that – although, she was confused. Why did he need her to use her light to melt his ice? Wouldn't it be quicker for him to use the fire from his left side?

"So, you will attack and create diversions using ice and fire, Todoroki?" Tenya questioned.

"No," Shoto responded. "In battle, I will never use my left..." He looked away from them and Miyuki followed the trail of his gaze to see he was glaring at Endeavour.

What's going on between him and his father?

Is he like that at home as well...?

"Now then it's about time to get started!" Midnight announced to the students, whipping around her flog-like whip when the time was up.

"After fifteen minutes of forming teams and talking strategy," Present Mic announced to the crowd, "Twelve cavalry teams are lined up on the field!"

"There are some interesting teams out there," Aizawa said, wanting to remain impartial but his eyes strayed to where Miyuki was with her team.

"Now raise those battle cries!" Present Mic shouted. "It's time for U.A.'s bloody battle! Light your signal fire! You've made your teams, right? I'm not going to ask if you're ready or not! Now, let's go! Counting down to the brutal battle royale! Three! Two! One!

Start!"

Miyuki activated her optical quirk and watched as, as she expected, people go dashing towards Izuku and his team. Even though they were on separate teams and she wanted to win, Miyuki quietly cheered on her best friend.