◆Chapter 61◇

'Get help!'

It was the first thing he thought to do when he saw the smoke in his room. There were clouds of it all around him so thick that he almost couldn't see his hand aggressively pulling on the door handle of his bedroom.

"Oka-san!" He shouted, pounding his fists against the door. He didn't understand - why wasn't it opening?! "Oka-san!"

Why wasn't she responding to him? The hallway outside his room wasn't so big that the bedrooms within their home were far from each other. Where was she?

"Oto-San!" He tried, only to get the same response as before - silence, and the sound of splintering wood.

The silver-haired boy stepped back from the door, covering his nose and mouth with the sleeve of his shirt. It was no good trying to get out like this. He was going to have to use his Quirk, even though he still didn't know how.

With a burst of bright light, the door smashed to splinters. He rushed out, sprinting downstairs through the dark, burning air around him. As he neared the living room, the little boy heard the sound of crying and shouting. The visibility around him was still very low -

However, it wasn't because of the smoke.

His blue eyes squinted against the brightness of a dark light engulfing the living room. He was just vaguely able to make out two - no, three figures there.

"Oka-san!" He called again. One of the figures turned around and the crying became louder. Blood marred their clothes and dribbled from their foreheads, like they'd taken a serious hit to the head. In their arms, a bright light and deep shadows were coming off of a small figure.

His heart lurched when he realized he was looking at his mother and young sister.

What was going on?

"Oka-san...? Miyu-chan...?" He stammered fearfully as the dark light somehow became brighter. His mother called out to him - she was telling him something...

But before he could hear her final word, the bright, dark energy exploded all around them.

"Why couldn't you have just been a normal baby with a nice Quirk?" He asked, running a hand through his silver hair as he finished recounting the tale. He turned to look at Miyuki, a cool yet angered expression upon his face. "Huh, Miyu-chan?"

"I... didn't," Miyuki stuttered, struggling to speak freely as the warm blade caressed the skin of her neck, "...kill them."

"Still insisting on stuff you know nothing about, huh?" Zin questioned, clicking his tongue. "And here I thought you were smart. Weren't you listening to a word I said?"

"Is that why you're here?" Miyuki questioned back tensely. "So you can... tell me that story about our family before you kill me? Is that it?"

"Nah," Zin casually replied. "I was bored. I wanted someone to talk to. Which reminds me..." he shifted the blade so its sharp tip grazed her artery, "If you try anything, I'll kill all of your friends and teachers before I get to you. I'm ten times stronger than you, so I can move at light speed without a problem. Okay? I'm just overdue for some bonding time."

"Why now?" Miyuki asked gruffly, feeling terrible she'd allowed herself to be cornered like this. She exhaled shakily, an icy chill travelling down her spine when she felt the warm blade pinch her skin. "Why not just kill me right now while you have the advantage?"