◆Chapter 21◇

The first day of the sports festival had finally arrived.

Miyuki turned over in her bed, her hair fanned out beneath her as her green eyes flickered to her bedroom's open window. The sun was rising and streams of yellow light pooled on the floor.

It's finally here...

She gripped her pillow, her brows creasing as anxiety gnawed at her gut.

Am I ready for this?

Miyuki lightly slapped her cheek.

Of course you're ready for this! You've been training for this day! You're ready, Miyuki...!

The black and white haired girl sighed as she rolled over again. Her eyes landed on Poncho who was sleeping under her desk on a little bed she'd bought for him. She frowned at the thought of leaving him on his own. She hadn't been with him long, but the fluffy puppy had already wormed his way into her heart.

She wondered where she could take him. Leaving him here in the house was already out of the question. What about some of the neighbours? Or Tsukauchi? Or...

Miyuki rolled over again, this time completely so she buried her face in her pillow. Within the very next minute, the pillow dipped and Poncho was licking her hand.

"I'm up, I'm up," Miyuki said with a quiet giggle. She sat up and put the pooch in her lap. "Thank you for waking me up. Who's a good boy?"

After giving him a good scratch and a peck on the nose, Miyuki got out of bed and began getting ready for the sports festival. Her duffel bag sat open by her bedside, already half-full. When she finished preparing herself, it was teeming with clothes, a few books, and a pack or two of daifuku.

The house didn't need cleaning today. Ren and Kasumi were away on a week-long business trip so she didn't have to worry about breakfast either as she made her way to the kitchen for a quick bite.

Afterwards, just as she was making sure she'd packed everything and had Poncho with her, there was a knock at the door. Miyuki went to open it.

"Oh! Good morning, Hana-obasan!" She bowed to the older woman.

Hana was an old lady who lived a few houses down with her grandson and a constantly breaking TV. Miyuki was her first call whenever it stopped working.

"Good morning, Miyuki-san," greeted Hana with a gentle smile. "The television broke down again. Would you mind coming to take a look?"

"Not at all!" Miyuki replied. Picking up Poncho, she and Hana walked to her house.

"Doesn't look... too bad..." Miyuki mumbled. She was on her knees fumbling with the manual settings behind the chunky screen. Hana stood behind her with her nine-year-old grandson.

"So you'll be able to fix it?" The old woman asked hopefully. "We were hoping to catch the sports festival in time."

"It's already fixed," Miyuki announced, standing up straight and dusting off her hands. The boy's eyes widened suddenly and he gripped his grandmother's hand.

"You-You're that girl! Oba-san, it's her! She's gonna be on TV!" He cheered, eyes sparkling. "She's going to be in the sports festival!"

"Ah, yes," Hana said, looking back to the now blushing girl. "Miyuki-san will be on TV in the sports festival," she told the boy somewhat proudly then looked at the girl again. "We'll be watching out for you, Miyuki-san. Good luck!"

"T-Thank you!" She bowed deeply, offering her thanks, before leaving their home and making her way towards U.A. on the bus. The trains were sure to be crowded with people all headed in the same direction and she didn't want to be late.