◆Chapter 8◇

Miyuki felt like a hypocrite.

Even though she'd told Izuku he'll be fine, her gut twisted into a thousand knots at the thought of expulsion on the very first day. It was tough and to be expected of U.A. After all, this was the hero course. But kicking someone out on the first day because they failed a quirk assessment test? Even she thought that was going a bit too far.

"Last place will be expelled?" Ochaco asked, equally shocked. "But it's the first day of school! No, even if it wasn't the first day of school, this is too unfair!"

"Natural disasters, big accidents, and selfish villains," Aizawa started, "Calamities whose time or place can't be predicted. Japan is covered in unfairness. Heroes are the ones who reverse those situations. If you wanted to go talk with your friends at Mickey D's after school, too bad."

"For the next three years," Aizawa continued, "U.A. will do all it can to give you one hardship after another. Go beyond. Plus Ultra. Overcome it with all you have got. All right, demonstrations over. The real thing starts now."

Test 1: 50 meter dash

Miyuki stood with Izuku to the side as Iida Tenya and a frog-like girl, Asui Tsuyu, got ready at the starting line. Their speeds were being monitored by cameras provided by the school. From what she could see, Tenya had engine-like thrusters embedded into his legs, so he'd probably have an instant advantage.

"On your marks... get set... go!"

A small gun went off and, as she expected, Tenya zoomed into the lead and across the finish line within -

"3.04 seconds."

"He's fast," Miyuki observed, watching Tsuyu - whose quirk she guessed was something frog related - hopped to the finish line.

"5.58 seconds."

"Her quirk must be Frog or amphibian," Miyuki mumbled to herself.

She turned to the next two people on the course - the nice girl, Uraraka Ochaco, and a boy with a pretty big tail, Ojiro Mashirao.

"On your marks... get set... go!"

Another gunshot went off - Miyuki flinched - and Ochaco and Mashirao ran forward. Ochaco seemed to loosen herself up with her quirk but Mashirao, with his tail, still proved to be faster.

"Yuki-chan, are you okay?" Izuku asked, noting how close they were to the bots shooting the guns. "Would you like us to move?"

"No, it's fine. Thank you, Izuku." She smiled reassuringly at him before turning to watch the next race.