◆Chapter 41◇

"Your friend came to save you," Stain said, making Izuku tense up. "That's a great line, isn't it? But I have a duty to kill him. If we clash, of course," a dark shadow clouded the Hero Killer's face as he stared down the green-haired boy, "the weaker will be culled."

A dark chill ran down Izuku's spine at hearing such words.

"Now, what will you do?" Stain continued menacingly.

'The eyes of white collar criminals like you burn silently.'

Izuku clenched his teeth as he angled himself in front of Tenya. The blue-haired boy was paralysed on the ground behind him and blood slowly poured out of the wound in his shoulder.

There was a dark look in his crimson eyes – it wasn't like anything he had seen before in any villain he had encountered. Not even Tomura Shigaraki. These... these were filled with such malice; such pure intent and will.

He's different from those guys at the USJ, Izuku thought tensely. His eyes are those... of a killer.

His brows furrowed as the gravity of the situation began settling upon him. Behind his back, Izuku pressed the button on his phone and his location was sent to his classmates on Class 1-A's group chat.

Even without any proof, even if it was just a guess, I should've done whatever I could to get a pro to come with me!

But all the pros were far from where he was right now.

With a determined expression across his features, Izuku pushed down the trepidation growing within him. Now, he would protect the two paralysed heroes for as long as he could on his own against Stain. If he could, even drive the Hero Killer away.

"Stop it!" Tenya shouted at the green-haired boy. Was he seriously thinking of taking on the Hero Killer by himself?! "Run away! I told you, didn't I? It has nothing to do with you!"

"If you say that," Izuku answered hotly, "then heroes can't do anything!" He balled his hand into a fist as his resolve hardened. He got into a fighting stance. "Meddling when you don't need to... is the essence of being a hero!"

Tenya's eyes widened at his words. A malicious smirk crawled onto Stain's crooked features as Izuku rushed towards him.

"Good," he rasped and swung his katana–

"No!" Tenya shouted. "If you get cut!–"

Izuku dodged and landed behind the Hero Killer. Stain whipped around –

He disappeared?

"Five percent Detroit..."

"Smash!"

Tenya watched with wide eyes as the Hero Killer slammed into the ground from Izuku's smash, a chartreuse energy swirling around his body as he landed in front of him.

Did it work? The green-haired boy wondered.

Just then, his entire body stopped moving. Izuku looked at the Hero Killer slowly getting back on his feet, a dribble of blood running along the serrated edge of his blade.