◆Chapter 39◇

9 years ago:

"No! Put me down! Put me down!"

Tsukauchi winced as Miyuki's small fists pounded relentlessly on his back. She was slung over his shoulder like a rucksack. He kept a firm hold on her as he carried her out of the abandoned warehouse. The pink bag she had carried with her was in his other hand, her All Might plushie sticking out from the top of it.

"Put me down! Ojii-san!" Miyuki cried. "I'm not going back there! I don't want to! Please don't! Put me down right now!"

The red and blue lights from the three police cars outside lit up the dark area they were in, seeing as it was midnight already. The moon was half-waxed and the stars were barely out.

"He found the girl," one of the police officers informed. He was speaking into a radio, leaning against the side of the car.

"Miyuki..." Tsukauchi said gently. He put her bag in his vehicle and brought the girl down from his shoulder. Miyuki's cheeks were puffy as tears poured from her eyes and snot dribbled from her nostrils. "It's time for you to come home." He pulled out a handkerchief and tried to wipe her face with it, but the little girl jumped away.

"I'm not going back there!" She loudly protested, catching the attention of nearby officers. She tried to sprint past Tsukauchi but the older man was quicker and easily caught her in his arms. "No! Let me go! Put me down right now!" He felt her trembling as sobs wracked her body. "Please don't take me back there, Ojii-San! Please don't make me go back to them...!"

Tsukauchi pursed his lips and hugged the girl to his chest.

"We know. If you don't bring her back as instructed, so will everyone. That girl has blood in her past -"

"That's not true. No one will believe that a child -"

"A deceitful looking child with a villainous Quirk. Who will believe you?"

"She's ours until we say otherwise. Who else would want a child like her?"

Tsukauchi hung his head. He pulled Miyuki closer, cradling the back of her head as she cried into his chest.

"Oji-san," she whimpered, her tears falling dampening his coat. "You can't take me back to that place! Please...!"

"Please don't take me back to that house!"

(Currently)

There were no words to describe the utter shock and humiliation that froze her to the spot of All Might's former sidekick's office floor. She gaped at Sir Nighteye who was stoically staring her down.

Mirio-senpai said he likes to smile, so... c-could this be a joke?

But there were no cracks in his expression - not even the hint of a smile on his face.

"I... I can prove it to you!" Miyuki blurted out. She opened her bag and pulled out the paper holding the DNA Test results. "Here! This is a DNA Test! -"