◆Chapter 123◇

Outside a local konbini, a breeze blew by and rustled the leaves of the short Sakura tree. What few remained, at least. The store manager's wife had been watering it daily despite its lack of colour and beauty and fruitfulness. Her husband had finally decided over breakfast, 'Enough is enough. This tree is useless and barren; it adds no beauty for the shop. I'm getting rid of it within the week.'

'Just a few more days,' pleaded his wife. 'Spring's only just arrived... this year, I am certain it will bloom.'

So, for he loved her dearly and knowing how precious it was to her, the store manager agreed.

When he got downstairs later that morning to open his shop's doors, he was greeted with the joyous sight of children already lining up outside his shop. He smiled, knowing full well the reason for their eagerness. The wonders of youth, he thought as he opened the door and all of them rushed inside, most running straight for his newest stand of Pro hero collectible cards.

It was an admirable sight, watching their eyes light up as, one by one, they made their choices. The last of them came up to his counter, two little boys both with highly anticipatory expressions. The little one with ash-blonde hair couldn't stand still at the door as he waited for his green-haired companion.

'Hurry up!' Shouted Katsuki impatiently. 'Hurry over already and show me what you got!'

'C-Coming!' Izuku rushed over once he'd bought his card.

Without taking another moment to spare, the two boys ripped away the seal and pulled out their cards at the same time.

'Ooh!'

'I got All Might!'

'Me, too!'

The store manager watched with a soft smile as the two boys ran out of his store, rejoicing over the hero they got. It pleased him seeing the products he sold put smiles on the faces of children.

Then, fifteen minutes later, the bell over his door jingled and a man dressed in a detective's coat walked in with a little girl trying desperately to pull a beanie farther down her head.

'Miyuki, there's no need for you to keep wearing that,' Tsukauchi said as they walked up to the counter. Miyuki bit her lip and pulled the beanie down more.

'But if I don't, everyone's gonna keep laughing at my hair...' She muttered. 'The other kids at school kept saying it's weird. I don't wanna cut it just yet...'

'And you won't have to. You have such lovely hair, Miyuki. Don't let those bullies' words diminish your confidence. Now, let's get what you came for; it is your birthday, after all.'

But when she went up to the stand to pick a card, there wasn't a single one left for her to take. Miyuki pouted as she walked back, head hung low. Tsukauchi frowned, knowing how much she'd been looking forward to this day. So, noticing the trinkets by the counter, picked the All Might one for her and her face lit up instantly.