thank goodness for the popcorn

"Oh, my God. Y/N- how many times do we have to teach you this?" He complains, not without an eye roll.

"I'm sorry." You say on reflex. You didn't mean it. After having to say it to whoever was 'in charge' of training you for a certain duty at your new job seemingly countless times, you were over it. And you just wanted to get your tasks over with— you were going on autopilot mode.

"You've been watching and listening, I hope. It's your turn now. Remember how I showed you to do it- once a batch of the popcorn's popped, dump it out, let the kettle go back up, put in the kernels, then the salt or sugar, close the covers and repeat."

"Okay." You answered flatly.

"Don't burn the sugar- again." He emphasised.

"Yeah."

You repeated the steps to yourself in your head while carrying out the dreadful task of popping the corn kernels. Not only does it make you sweat because it was so hot, the oil and sugar splatters and always, always lands on you and burns you. So, yeah, to put it simply you were annoyed. So annoyed.

Overhearing this whole conversation was Auli'i who was stood by a cash register. She was getting a little annoyed by the guy's attitude towards you- and she was not even trying to hide it.

"Would you like me to take over training her, dude?" She walks up.

"Suit yourself. I would rather be in charge of selling the movie tickets." He shrugs, walking away to take over Auli'i's position at the counter.

"Forget what he said- once the first batch is in the kettle, get the sugar and kernels ready first. Once you hear that the popcorn's filling up the kettle, turn the heat off. Dump everything out as quickly as you can. Push the oil button, turn the heat back on, pour in the kernels then the sugar. Close the lid and wait."

"I told her that, Chloe."

She told the people at work to call her that after they helplessly butchered her name way too many times. (Not you though)

"Sure." Auli'i responded dismissively.

She watches you while you gave your shot at the popcorn machine. You were nervous that you were gonna screw it up again, but with her being the one 'in charge' of teaching you, you felt better- less of a target, more of co-worker.

"There you go. That's good." She smiled, "Now, we wait and repeat that a few times till the bag's full and then we can keep it to use tomorrow."

— • —

You pull the lever to dump the new batch of the sticky, sweet popcorn out onto the surface. Keeping an arm's distance because you knew something was gonna splatter and hit you or a stray popcorn would fly out because of the heat and also hit you somewhere.

"Ah, shit." You mumbled to yourself when the hot sugar came into contact with your skin.

"It hit you, didn't it?"

"No..." You lied.

"You know I've been standing here for the past half hour, right? I can see it. Are you okay, Y/N?" She laughs, shaking her head as she sighs in disbelief.

"She's fine." The guy chimed in as he restocked the paper cups.

"Excuse me, I didn't know your name was Y/N too." She exhales.

"Alright, relax. It was just a joke."

'A joke? What part of that seemed funny at all?' Auli'i thought to herself.

"I'm okay, it's just a little splatter. A least-" Another freshly popped kernel flew towards your face and you dodged it, "At least it wasn't my face."