blur

[every time it hurts,
i just let it blur.]

"Y/N! You'd better open this door right now!"

You put in your earbuds, letting music drown out the yelling on the other side of your door.

"Why did your sister just tell me you went to the party?! I told you, you weren't allowed to go, Y/N!"

Yeah...you did go. But it was hardly a party. In fact, it wasn't a party. It was actually a date. Well, she asked you out but after talking she realised that you preferred to stay in. So...she invited you over to her apartment to hang out. You didn't go to her place with the intention of staying the night. Things just...went well.

"Come on in!" She unlocks her front door, opened it and led you inside.

"Oh, your apartment looks straight out of a Pinterest feed."

"Aw, thank you." She smiled, setting her keys down on a credenza by the front door. "How about a drink?"

"Oh, a water's fine."

"Okay." She puts down her purse and went to wash her hands before pouring you and herself a glass of water each. "I was thinking...maybe we could watch a movie or two...or just talk? Whatever you wanna do, really."

"We'll start with a movie, sure." You put your glass down after taking a swig of the water.

"Alrighty, you pick first." She turned the TV on and handed the remote over to you.

"How about you pick a genre, Auli'i?" You asked.

— • —

You picked out Grand Budapest Hotel- which you found out halfway through that it was her favourite film that she'd watch once a year. You didn't know that. But now you do.

"What's your favourite movie?"

"Um, it changes all the time, honestly. But right now...Instant Family,"

"Oh, that's a pretty good one." She nodded.

"Y/N! You gotta explain yourself." Your mother manages to get your door open.

"It was not a party." You said flatly. "I was just at a schoolmate's place because I needed her help."

"With?"

"What?" You glanced at her.

"What could you need help with?"

"A school project?" You fought the urge to scoff.

"Stop it with the attitude, Y/N." She said back, arms crossed.

"You're asking me questions and I'm answering them. Do I really need to be smiling when I answer questions like these?"

"And you didn't think to tell me that you weren't going to be home?"

"I got way too tired to even think about going on my phone. Do you really think I will be so daft and not inform you about that beforehand? I'm a senior in high school with a 4.0 GPA. Do you think so poorly of me?"