only for rocco

Auli'i knew you weren't a fan of animals- like, any kind of animals so, she's never forced you to spend time with Rocco. Especially not alone. However, Auli'i needed to go out of town for a week in order to shoot a short film. So...you decided to do something. You said you'd babysit Rocco. "Are you sure? You don't have to do that. I know it's not easy for you."

"I want to." You nodded decisively.

"Alright, baby. If you're sure."

You didn't hate animals, but you just would rather not have pets because the thought of you being their whole life, then having to deal with their passing is devastating to you. So, you always avoided that.

"I gotta get going. But I'll call you once I get to the airport." Auli'i gives you a kiss, caressing your cheek.

"Kay, babe." You kissed her back, "Have fun."

"You too." She grins, "Bye, Rocco. Be good."

"Alright, buddy. You're stuck with me for a week." You sigh as Rocco walked by, the bell on his collar tinkling.

Look, you knew how to take care of him- no doubt. You've been living with Auli'i for the past year and been together for two years. You knew his routine - clearly. He'd already been fed for the morning so there wasn't anything for you to do right now. He didn't like going outside that much, so you figured you'd just stay inside. For today at least. You weren't feeling very productive today, anyway. You found your laptop and proceeded to answer some emails while Rocco was walking around the apartment doing whatever he it was he usually does. You kept an eye on him, though. To make sure he wasn't getting into cabinets and spilling stuff- which he has done before on quite a few occasions. You got so engrossed in your task after awhile that you didn't realise he'd ended up snuggling beside you. You were a little shocked by that, seeing that he's never done this before. Understandably, he usually sticks by Auli'i. He wasn't too bad.

'Oh, who am I kidding? He's goddamn cute.' You thought to yourself, giving the feline some head scratches- he loved it.

Hearing your phone vibrate, you were snapped out of your thoughts and on a mission to locate the device that you've somehow, lost. But, you did find it again. Hah.

She kept you updated just like she had promised and you were happy as can be to receive each text

She kept you updated just like she had promised and you were happy as can be to receive each text. And you were betting that she would be happy to see this:

 And you were betting that she would be happy to see this:

Called it

Called it.

Putting your phone down, you refocused your attention on the TV, channel surfing for a minute to figure out what you wanted to watch while Rocco snuggled with you. "You like me, huh?" You asked to no one in particular. Well, Rocco responded by looking at you and snuggling closer— if that was even possible. You chuckled, "What should we watch, Rocco? How's Moana?"

He meows, causing you to laugh, "Okay, then, Moana it is."

— • —

As much as you enjoyed spending time alone, a full week without any company would drive you a little crazy. So having Rocco with you made the days go by easier. On the day Auli'i was supposed to return from her work trip, you offered to go pick her up but she declined, saying that she didn't want you to get cameras all up in your face- which you appreciated. But was a little worried about her for. Having stayed up till the wee hours of the morning to work on your writing and aimlessly rewatching sitcoms that were initially playing as background noise, you were naturally a little too tired in the morning, dozing off on the couch as a result. Before you succumbed to sleep, you made sure Rocco was fed before you crashed.

The next thing you know, you woke up to the sound of a luggage rolling into the apartment. And since you were expecting Auli'i to be home, you immediately shot up in your seat, "Oh, my God. You're home."

"And you're cuddling with Rocco." She pointed out with a grin.

"What?" You asked sleepily as you turned to your side and saw that he was beside you. "Oh. I guess he must've climbed up while I was asleep."

She chuckles, "Are you okay? You don't usually fall asleep in the morning."

"I uh, stayed up a little too late last night." You gave her a sheepish grin. "How was the filming?"

"We wrapped early. So I got a day to see the city a little."

"That's nice." You nodded, getting up to go give her a kiss.

"What's nicer is that I got you some stuff."

"No." Your eyes widen as you gasp.

"I gotta say the staff were very confused to see me getting New York City souvenirs."

"Oh shit."

"No, nothing bad happened." She giggles, "We've just spent quite a bit of time there already. And it seems whoever worked there that day knew that and the fact that I used to live in the city."

"Thanks." You told her as she handed you the paper bag.

"I bought us matching I Heart NY t-shirts." She remarked, "We're about to be one of those annoying matchy couples."

You guffaws, "Oh, yay. Keychains and magnets." Only she would indulge your hobbies of collecting those.

"You like?"

"Oh, yeah. I love these, thank you."

"You're welcome, my love." She says, giving you sweet kiss on the lips, "I'm gonna go take a shower and get changed, then we'll go for a drive, get some lunch?"

"Perfect." You agreed.

— • —

Unedited. Published: Wednesday, 27 March 2024

Here it is! Hope you enjoyed this cute little oneshot. Thank you for your request!!🤍