Sick

Marinette sniffed as she looked out her window from her desk chair and frowned. It was a beautiful day, but Marinette was stuck inside because she had gotten a cold.

Her throat was dry and itchy, it hurt every time she took a sip of water or a bite of food, and her nose constantly dripped. She was miserable.

Kids playing across the street worsened her mood. On a Saturday, she'd much rather prefer going to the park with her friends that staying inside.

Marinette tried getting ahold of Alya, but she wouldn't answer her texts. Her friend always had her phone with her so Marinette didn't understand why she wasn't answering.

Plus, Marinette had a hard time fighting crime as Ladybug. Being sick really made it hard for her to do anything outside of the house. In fact, Marinette would rather be Ladybug and fight crime than stay inside guarded by her parents all day.

She smirked as a plan cooked up in her head. She opened her mouth to say the famous catchphrase but was rudely interrupted by her kwami.

"Marinette!" Tikki exclaimed. "You can't just transform!"

"Why not?" Marinette squeaked sadly, her throat burning.

"Because you're sick and you need to rest!"

"But-"

"No but's! A superhero has to stay healthy."

Marinette silenced, sinking into her chair. Her throat hurt too much to even argue with Tikki. She was right, after all. But Marinette hated staying inside all day. Especially when she had nothing better to do.

Being the studious person she was, all the homework she was given was completed already. And she had no projects that needed to be done, so that was out of the question as well. Finally, her friends were busy doing something else, considering they weren't answering her texts. They were probably enjoying the beautiful day.

"I know! I'll go make some food. That always cheers me up," Marinette decided in her head.

She stood up and headed downstairs in her search for food. Surely, since she lived in a bakery, her parents would have a nice supply.

However, things weren't looking so good.

The bakery was packed with customers. They all ordered cupcakes and bread, seemingly for a nice outdoor picnic. This thought saddened Marinette.

She dodged the customers and trudged her way to the kitchen. She was really craving ice cream. That was a perfect cold remedy. For her, anyways. So, Marinette opened up the freezer, and low and behold, there it was. The container of cold, creamy, sweet goodness.

Marinette smiled and licked her lips as she picked up the vanilla bean ice cream box. Immediately, her smile dropped.

The box felt like there was nothing inside. Marinette panicked for an instant. Her frantic fingers opened up the box only to find about a tablespoon of ice cream left, if you scraped off the bits that clung to the sides of the box. It was practically empty! Who would do that?

Probably her.

Marinette was an ice cream junkie after all, and she doubt her parents would have the audacity to put a nearly empty ice cream container back in the freezer.

So she grabbed a spoon and scooped up the little ice cream she could salvage. It cooled her throat and for a second, she felt bliss. But it soon ended.

She was terribly disappointed. Marinette felt her bad luck returning to her after all. She walked back upstairs to her bedroom and closed the door. Flopping on the bed, Marinette concluded that her day was going to be boring and miserable.

An hour passed, and Marinette was surprised to see that Alya had texted back after all. It read:

Sry I didn't get ur messages earlier girl. I was at the zoo with my little sister and my phone overheated and died. I'm back home now. R u okay?

Marinette texted back:

Could be worse. I'm just so bored.

A few minutes later, Alya replied:

Sry. :( I will make it up to u, kay?

"Marinette?" her mother suddenly asked outside her door.

"Yes?" Marinette asked, looking up from her phone.

"There's someone here for you!"

Marinette's eyes widened in surprise. Someone was here... for her?

She sprang up from her bed. Maybe it was Adrien?! Nah, he wouldn't bother to come all the way to Marinette's house on this beautiful day...

Marinette opened up her bedroom door and raced downstairs. She stopped in her tracks and looked at the people in the front door. She wanted to die with happiness.

Alya was smirking and waving her phone in the air. Beside her, Nino and Adrien were standing there holding some movies and popcorn. Adrien smiled warmly at Marinette, causing her stomach to flutter.

"Told you I'd make it up to you," Alya laughed.