Secret Santa

Marinette, Alya, Rose, Juleka, Alix, and Mylene all agreed to participate in a game of Secret Santa this year. The group had gotten exceedingly close the past year and figured it would be a fun tradition to begin.

Marinette finished eating a chocolate chip cookie from the batch she had made for everyone as a little snack. She lay on her bed, talking to Mylene and Juleka. Rose was busy decorating the room with Christmas paraphernalia. And for some reason, Alix and Alya were snickering as they cut up strips of their names and placed them into a hat for the girls to pick out of.

Marinette shrugged it off, figuring it was no big deal. After all, it was Secret Santa. She was confident to make the best gift for whoever she picked.

"Circle up!" Alya chimed, turning over her shoulder.

The girls all sat cross-legged on the carpet in a circle, leaving two spaces for Alya and Alix.

"Here's the deal," Alix said, sitting down beside Juleka. "We go clockwise around the circle and everyone picks one name from the hat. No peeking and you cant tell anyone who you got. If you get yourself, put your name back in and redraw. Got it?"

Everyone nodded.

"Good," Alix smiled, turning to her right. She held out the hat. "We will start with Juleka and go around from there."

Juleka covered her eyes, reached into the hat, and pulled out a name. She unfolded the tiny piece of paper, caught a glimpse of her person, and quickly closed the slip of paper again with a sneaky smile.

Marinette was watching her expression curiously and that just made her grow even more excited. As the hat was passed from person to person, she began to imagine what she would get each person if she drew their name.

If she got Alya, obviously she would get her a bunch of Ladybug merch.

And if she got Rose, she'd get her anything that is the color pink.

If she got Alix, she would get her some  new skating.

Of course there was probably a price limit, but Marinette didnt care. She wanted to give her friends the best gifts possible.

Mylene passed the hat to her and it was finally her turn to draw. Marinette grinned, her heart bubbling with joy. She was so excited.

She pinched her eyes shut and reached her hand into the hat. Her fingers brushed past a piece of paper and eagerly grabbed ahold of it. There were only a couple left so she hoped she didnt get herself.

Marinette retrieved the small, folded piece of paper from the hat and held it in her palm. She looked around herself to make sure no one was looking. She opened the paper carefully and the name she read--

It couldn't be. Her breath hitched in her throat.

The name on the paper said Adrien.

She was so confused. He wasnt even participating in the game!

Marinette looked to her right and raised a hand. "Uh, Alya. About my person--"

Alya pressed a finger to her lips and shushed her friend. "Shhh! You can't tell!"

Marinette grunted, melting internally. She couldn't buy a gift for Adrien! She didn't know what to get him! What if he didn't like whatever she got him? What if--

Abrupt snickering from Alya and Alix snapped Marinette out of her thoughts. Then, it all became clear.

This was a set up.

They must not think Marinette can buy a gift for Adrien. They must think she is too chicken.

"Everything okay?" Alix asked, trying to hide her wry grin but ultimately failing at doing so.

Marinette cleared her throat and sat up straight, losing any nervousness she had just radiated from herself. She tilted her head and smiled. "Yeah, why do you ask?"

"Nothing," Alix quickly answered, looking away.

Marinette smiled as she watched the last of her friends draw names. But really, instead of paying attention to that, she was thinking about how she would prove them wrong.

She will be Adrien's Secret Santa this year. She was sure of it.