Waiting for Santa

Adrien groaned, burying his head into his pillow. Plagg floated above him, his tail curled in hatred.

"Where is he?! I'll rip him to shreds," Plagg hissed. He floated over to a table stacked with cheese.

Adrien didn't realize it then, but he made a terrible decision when he told Plagg that 'Santa' steals all the cheese in Paris and feeds it to his elves.

In Adrien's defense, Plagg wouldn't stop embarrassing him after what he had done last night. Dressed as Chat Noir, Adrien tried to seduce Ladybug under the mistletoe but it didn't necessarily go as planned. He ended up falling face first into the snow.

He didn't care about the failed attempt (since he had a lot of those) until Plagg kept mentioning it insistently afterwards. Adrien had had enough and, out of anger, did the one thing he knew would break Plagg's heart.

Tell him that his cheese was going to be stolen by Santa.

Now, the kwami was standing guard over his stash of Camembert cheese and Adrien could not get him to move. What if trouble were to arise in Paris and Plagg wouldn't transfer into his Miraculous?

Adrien chuckled to himself. Surely, Plagg wouldn't be that ridiculous. In an urgent situation, his kwami would definitely be there to transform him into a superhero... right?

"What's so funny?" Plagg accused harshly, his narrowed eyes shooting invisible daggers at Adrien.

"Nothing," Adrien shrugged, albeit a little nervous.

"If I see the man in red I'm pouncing," Plagg said, circling his Camembert. "I'm not leaving this spot until I know it's safe. If he steals all the cheese in Paris to feed his elves, then I might just have to stay here until Christmas is over."

"Come on," Adrien sighed. "You know Paris will be in trouble at least once before then. I'll need you."

"No, my Camembert needs me," Plagg said, crossing his arms.

"And Paris will need us," Adrien reasoned, desperate to change the kwami's attitude before something really did go wrong.

Plagg just pointed his nose upwards in defiance, his arms crossed.

Adrien had to tell the truth. There was no other way around it. He wasn't going to put the citizens of Paris in danger just because he told a little lie.

"Look," Adrien sighed, sitting down on his bed. "I-"

"THERE HE IS!" Plagg screeched, pointing out the window.

Adrien looked out his window in shock, his eyes blown wide. Surely, in the distance, a white-bearded man riding a sleigh was quickly approaching the Agreste mansion.

"No way," Adrien mumbled in disbelief.

"You were right Adrien!" Plagg hissed. He flew by Adrien and floated over his right shoulder. "Quick! Say the words and transform into Chat Noir so we can shut this guy down!"

"Plagg!" Adrien yelled. "I'm not going to beat up Santa Claus!"

The sleigh phased through the large windows and soon Santa and his reindeer were all sitting in Adrien's room.

"Ho ho ho!" Santa exclaimed joyfully.

Adrien raised an eyebrow; he didn't look akumatized at all.

"Back off Claus!" Plagg screeched. "Or you're gonna see my claws!" He tried flying forward, but Adrien held him back by grabbing his tail.

"What are you?" Santa asked curiously.

That's when Adrien realized Plagg was out in the open. He almost panicked before he realized there was no point in covering it up. Standing before him was a magical being himself.

Plagg desperately tried tugging out of Adrien's grip, but it was no use. Exhausted, he let his body relax and now he was hanging upside down by his tail.

"This is Plagg," Adrien replied to Santa.

"Ah, well hello Plagg!" Santa chuckled, bending down so he was eye to eye with the kwami. "I have to say, I've never seen a creature like you before!"

Plagg stared threateningly at Santa, mumbling something to himself. "You can bet your holly jolly cheese-stealing hands you haven't."

Santa blinked, standing up straight in confusion. "Huh?"

"Sorry, sir," Adrien apologized. "Plagg is a little cranky. I might've told him something about you that isn't necessarily true."

"What?" Plagg and Santa both asked in unison.

Adrien sat Plagg down, keeping eye contact with Santa. "You see... he was teasing me and I got a little mad. So, out of anger, I told him that you steal all the cheese in Paris."

Plagg growled, crossing his arms. "How dare you."

"So... are you mad at me?" Adrien asked quietly when Santa didn't reply.

Santa suddenly burst out laughing, clutching his round belly. Adrien raised an eyebrow. "What's so funny?"

"Oh, son! I'm not mad!" Santa laughed. "Everyone says something that they don't mean at least once in their life. The thing that counts is that you recognize it and apologize," Santa said. His eyes then wandered over to Plagg. "But you shouldn't be apologizing to me..."

Adrien met the eyes of Plagg, who was sitting on the desk shamefully. He quietly approached him.

"Plagg," Adrien said. "I'm sorry I lied to you."

Plagg smiled softly. "And I guess... I'm sorry too. I shouldn't have teased you."

"Are we good now?" Adrien grinned.

"We are," Plagg replied. He flew up to Adrien and they exchanged a tiny shoulder hug.

"Okay, okay," Plagg said quickly. He flew out of Adrien's shoulder. "Enough hugs for one day."

Adrien laughed. He turned around to face Santa. "Thanks for-"

He stopped as his voice echoed out into an empty room.

"What the? Where'd Santa go?!" Plagg asked in disbelief, scanning the room.

"I don't know," Adrien mumbled.

Outside, they heard a faint voice carry through the air. They rushed over to the window and saw the silhouette of Santa and his reindeer flying across the starry sky.

"Ho ho ho! Merry Christmas to all!"