Christmas Cards

Marinette walked into class, a joyful smile on her face. It was finally Christmas time and that meant Marinette could make a bunch of fun crafts.

"Hey," Marinette said to Alya, sliding into her usual seat.

"Hey girl," Alya replied. She raised an eyebrow in amusement. "For once you're not late."

Marinette nodded, thanking the fact that Ladybug hadn't had to save anyone this morning. She shouldn't jinx it, though.

"Yeah..." Marinette said. "I guess my alarm finally worked! Ha."

In the front of the class, Ms. Bustier was busy preparing assignments on the next story the class would be reading. Alya sighed. "Can't it just be winter break already? I'll never understand these weird novels that we keep reading."

"Me neither," Marinette agreed solemnly. Alya had a point; it was so difficult to keep up. Especially with Chloe complaining about the vocabulary every 2 seconds. Talk about annoying.

Marinette then smiled widely, as she remember her plans after school. She leaned in close to her friend. "On the bright side, I'm making my famous Christmas cards today."

"Really?" Alya said in awe. "Can I come?"

"Of course!" Marinette laughed.

Marinette made special Christmas cards every year. She would decorate them with beautiful ribbons and candy canes and then send them off to her friends and family. It was a tradition for her, and Alya admired the idea so much that she wanted to partake in it this year.

Up ahead, Adrien listened intently. He didn't like to eavesdrop, but when he heard the word "Christmas cards," he was immediately interested.

Adrien swiveled around in his chair, smiling embarrassingly. Marinette immediately froze as his gaze landed upon her.

"Uh, I don't mean to be nosy or anything, but..." Adrien started. "I heard something about Christmas cards?"

Marinette couldn't even manage a squeak. Luckily, Alya took it upon herself to communicate with the boy.

"Oh yeah, it's a fun tradition for Marinette!" Alya exclaimed. "You should join us!"

Marinette snapped her head towards the brunette, the look of terror slapped onto her face. "I-I... Y-You-"

"Don't worry, I can handle everything," Alya assured her friend. She faced Adrien again and tilted her head. "So, are you interested?"

"Totally!" Adrien said with a grin. For some reason, he never recalled getting a Christmas card from Marinette in the past. Maybe she forgot? Or perhaps it was lost in the mail somewhere. Oh well, Adrien didn't mind. He was just excited to do something other than pose for a camera all day.

Plus, the whole idea reminded him of his mother. His heart sank as the memory of her flooded his mind. Tears welt up in his eyes but he pushed them away. Now isn't the time, Adrien.

*

Marinette stacked the various colors of construction paper on her desk. Beside it were Christmas stickers and red, green, and white glitter bottles. A cup of candy canes stood nearby as well. She smiled as Alya sat beside her.

"Does this look good?" Marinette asked her friend.

Alya was busy surveying the room, her eyes darting to each Adrien poster hung on her wall. "Yes... but don't you want to take these down?"