New Year, New Complications

"Well Alya, this is a brand new year! I'm ready to confess my feelings to Adrien!" Marinette squealed excitedly.

"Seriously?" Alya chimed happily, sitting across from Marinette at a table in the cafeteria. "This is huge!"

"I told myself that one of my resolutions was to tell Adrien how I feel," Marinette nodded. "I'm ready!"

Alya widened her eyes, pointing behind Marinette. "And look who's here!"

The realization suddenly crashed down on Marinette. It was now or never. Could she do it? Don't back down. Don't back down!

Marinette stood up from her chair, determination on her face. This earned a word of encouragement from Alya and soon Marinette was walking towards Adrien. He was throwing away his lunch at the moment. Not the ideal place Marinette wanted to confess her feelings to Adrien, but she had to do it.

She stopped abruptly as Adrien turned his head towards her. She smiled sheepishly. Her palms grew sweaty and she had to find some way to spit out the words. "Uh... hi Adrien!"

He smiled that familiar, comforting smile. His perfect white teeth caught her eye. "Hey Marinette. What's up?"

"Um... well, you see..." Marinette fumbled with her words. Just say it! Her eyes lingered on his mouth. She took a deep breath. Say it fast and get it over with. She pinched her eyes shut and practically screamed the words out. "I REALLY, REALLY LIKE YOU!"

Chattering erupted in the cafeteria. Great, way to go Marinette. Way to let the entire school know about your crush. She opened her eyes slowly. Adrien was standing there in shock, his eyebrow raised in confusion.

"I'm sorry!" Marinette said quickly, feeling completely rejected. She began breathing heavily. "I-I shouldn't have even said anything. I have to go!" She ran away from the scene with Adrien calling her name before it faded away into the cafeteria chatter.

Marinette cowered into a bathroom stall, grabbing her head in frustration. "Wow, Marinette," she told herself, "way to make things dramatic. This year is already off to a horrible start."

Tikki peeked her head out of Marinette's purse, frowning. "Don't be sad. At least you had the courage to say it."

"Now the whole school knows and Adrien probably thinks I'm a complete freak," Marinette hufffed. "Can I just disappear?"

"No, silly," Tikki giggled, flying up to her face. "Adrien does not think you're a freak. He was probably just stunned. Usually you're very shy and quiet around him so hearing you say such words probably shocked him a little."

Marinette glanced up at Tikki.

"Gee, I don't know if that makes me feel better or worse," she sighed.

"It's supposed to make you feel better," Tikki grabbed her face, "Having a crush is nothing to be ashamed of. Everything will be fine."

Marinette smiled, running a finger across Tikki's back. "Thanks Tikki," she whispered.

The door to the girls bathroom suddenly slammed open. "Marinette! You in here?"

"Hide Tikki," Marinette whispered before standing up. She opened the bathroom stall door and saw her friend standing there.