Fireworks

Marinette carefully sat criss-crossed on a red blanket, juggling a plethora of snacks and drinks in her arms.

"Who got the blue slushie?" Marinette asked, desperate to relieve her right hand from the icy beverage that was slowly making it numb.

"Me!" Nino exclaimed, crawling past Juleka and Rose to retrieve the drink. "Thanks again for paying. You're the best!"

"It's the least I can do," Marinette smiled. She then pulled a bucket of popcorn out from under her arm and set it down on the middle of the blanket. "Popcorn anyone?"

Her classmates cheered (mostly Kim and Max) and scrambled for the popcorn. Marinette handed out the remaining drinks to her friends and breathed a sigh of relief after that was taken care of.

"I'm surprised," Alya smirked. "You didn't drop anything!"

"I know! I think I'm finally getting the hang of my clumsiness," Marinette nodded enthusiastically.

"It only took 16 years," Alya chuckled, popping a few pieces of popcorn in her mouth.

Suddenly, Marinette felt a pair of hands grip her shoulders. Before she could turn, she heard the person's voice ring out behind her.

"Super-Marinette saving the day once again with the snacks!"

She internally collapsed, obviously recognizing the all too familiar voice that was only a few feet away from her.

"Y-yeah," she grinned awkwardly, turning and seeing Adrien's gorgeous emerald eyes and silky blonde hair. He smiled at her.

But then, she realized something.

Oh no.

While Marinette panicked, Nino looked around in confusion, his tongue blue from the slushie. "Oh, where is Adrien's drink?"

"I forgot!" she cried without thinking, before quickly covering her mouth. How could she forget Adrien's drink? The love of her life!

"Oh, that's alright," Adrien chuckled slowly, slightly worried when he noticed how red Marinette's face was turning.

"No it isn't!" Marinette gasped, standing up quickly. "I'll go get your drink!"

"Marinette!" Adrien laughed, gripping her shoulders and staring directly into her eyes. "It's okay, I'll survive. Plus, the fireworks are about to start."

She instantly froze underneath his touch, melting into his gorgeous eyes. She calmed down exponentially.

"Okay," was all she could get out.

Adrien smiled reaffirmingly and squeezed her shoulder gently before sitting down on the blanket. He looked up at her and patted the spot next to him.

Marinette sat beside him, refusing to make eye contact with him for fear she would pass out. Alya leaned in close to her ear and whispered with a chuckle, "So close."

If Marinette wasnt a klutz, she was incredibly forgetful. And she really hated that part of her right now. At least Adrien seemed cool with it. Still, she felt bad because everyone else had a drink except him.

Her thoughts were interrupted as a whizzing sound filled the sky, followed by a loud explosion with pink lights.

The fireworks were a dazzling show, filling up the sky with amazing colors. Marinette grinned, enjoying the sights and sounds of it all. She almost forgot Adrien was sitting right next to her.

"Wow," Marinette mumbled, smiling from ear to ear. No matter how many times she saw fireworks, each time was as thrilling as the last.

Adrien liked the fireworks too, but an equally beautiful sight drew his gaze away. He turned to his left and looked upon Marinette's face. Her smile was so pure and full of joy. And her soft blue eyes... they were captivated by the sight.

Adrien suddenly felt a knot grow in his stomach, a feeling he had never experienced before while looking at his friend. This caused him to redirect his gaze up at the fireworks.

He must be hungry.

Adrien spotted popcorn sitting nearby and took a handful, hastily shoving it into his mouth. Because no way was he feeling attraction towards Marinette. She is his friend. Nothing more, nothing less.

In fact, she is like a sister to him. And having feelings for your sister is just... wrong. Yeah. Adrien grinned, positive he had convinced himself that he was totally not crushing on Marinette.

Adrien blinked and just like that, the fireworks ended. The crowd of onlookers cheered, whistling in happiness. Marinette laughed, clapping her hands in excitement.

"I'll never get over how beautiful that is," Marinette whispered to Adrien, her eyes full of happiness and wonder.

He smiled, finally tearing down his wall of denial the moment he glanced at her beautiful face. He was undoubtedly falling in love with this girl. With a nod, he answered her.

"Me neither."