Adrienette AU

"AU where Adrien was shorter than his best friend, Marinette, in grade school."

*idea by ceejles

~

Adrien, age 11
Marinette, age 11

The school day had just ended, the hot sun radiating down on the Parisian school. Adrien jogged up to his best friend Marinette.

"Wait up!" the young boy laughed.

Marinette smiled, turning around. She looked down at Adrien slightly. "Slow poke."

"Nah, I was just letting you get a head start."

Marinette laughed, her pink frilly dress and short black hair bouncing with every step she took.

"When are we gonna get married and live happily ever after?" Adrien asked, smirking cheekily.

Marinette looked back down at Adrien, her blue eyes glancing over him. He was only a few inches shorter than her, but she couldn't help but marvel over the fact that she was taller than him. Her cheeks puffed as she struggled to hold in a laugh. "Never... unless you grow taller than me."

Adrien raised an eyebrow, placing a hand on his hip. He stretched his free arm in the air, his hand hovering a few inches over Marinette's head. "So if I grow taller than you like this, you'll marry me right?"

Marinette crossed her arms, her eyes dancing with curiosity. A faint blush covered her soft cheeks as she stared at Adrien. "How bout' we see if the time actually comes, shortie?"

5 years later...

The class bell rang, signaling the end of class. Marinette packed up her things as Alya peeked over her shoulder.

"Girl, when are you gonna ask Adrien out?" Alya sighed. "You two have been friends ever since you were kids."

"I'm waiting for the right time," Marinette mumbled. "Plus, I don't even know if he likes me that way."

"Oh, come on," Alya replied. "What about that bet he made a few years ago that you told me about?"

"We were kids," Marinette replied with a sigh. "He probably doesn't even remember it anyways. He's a model; girls fantasize over him everyday."

"Doesn't matter," Alya shrugged. "He's known you the longest. You're his best friend."

"Well, we'll see," Marinette smiled weakly.

She and Alya headed for the door and then went their separate ways.

Marinette stopped at her locker real fast. She began fumbling with the lock but couldn't get it to open. Her mind was numb with Adrien.

The boy she loved with all her heart. The boy she trusted with everything.

A hand touched her shoulder, causing her to drop her things on the floor. She turned around and was met with piercing green eyes.

"Adrien," Marinette breathed, holding her chest. She looked up at him, feeling defenseless. "You scared me."

"Sorry," Adrien laughed apologetically. He moved closer to Marinette and raised a hand over her head, his free hand resting on his hip. That's when she realized what his objective was. She turned away from him and crossed her arms, placing a hand over her mouth. Her cheeks heated up significantly.

"Do you see me now?" Adrien asked, the words sending shivers down her spine.