Caffeine

Adrien trudged through the busy Paris sidewalks with his bodyguard, Gorilla, by his side. He was so tired and worn out from the activities the night before. Photoshoots followed by exhausting interviews about his father's next clothing line.

He needed a boost. He had never felt so exhausted before.

Surprisingly, Adrien was never the coffee person. Frankly, he didn't like how it tasted. But from what he's heard about it's motivating effects, he needed some coffee. Right. Now.

Luckily, Marinette's bakery was right ahead, down the street. He knew they sold coffee. It was a bakery after all.

Before entering the building, Adrien instructed the Gorilla to stand outside while he run in for a quick cup of coffee.

"I know father would be worried about it staining my teeth if he found out," Adrien mumbled when he noticed the look of disapproval on the Gorilla's face. "But one cup isn't gonna hurt."

Or so Adrien thought.

He entered through the bakery doors, greeted by the sweet fragrance of fresh baked pastries. The tiny bakery was empty, except for a quiet old man sitting in the corner of the room eating a croissant and reading the newspaper.

Adrien immediately noticed Marinette standing behind the counter and smiled at her. She was wiping down the counter, but froze when she felt his familiar eyes on her.

She squeaked, turned around, and raced into the back to get her mother. She felt like a wimp, obviously escaping the possibility of talking to Adrien, but technically she wasn't supposed to be taking orders today. So, in theory, she had a reason of avoiding Adrien even though her parents wouldn't have cared if she took the order.

Sabine walked up to the register and greeted Adrien from across the counter with a warm smile. "Hello Adrien. What can I getcha?"

Adrien peeked around Sabine briefly before placing his order to locate Marinette, but she wasn't there. He shrugged and continued with his order.

"Could I just have a coffee please?" he asked vaguely.

"What kind honey?" Sabine asked. "We have black, iced, latte..."

"Oh, uh, black is fine," Adrien blinked, unsure of what the difference is. He was definitely a newbie at the whole coffee thing.

"Light roast or dark roast?"

"I'm not sure, whatever packs more caffeine," Adrien shrugged.

"Light roast it is," Sabine smiled playfully. "Anything else for you sweetie?"

"That's it, thank you," Adrien smiled, feeling accomplished. He had ordered his first ever coffee.

That sounds lame, he thought in his head.

Sabine gave him his total and he paid it graciously, then went to sit down and wait. Another customer came through the bakery door and walked up to the register.

"Marinette!" Sabine called, turning around. "Could you make me a light roast black coffee?"

"Sure!" Marinette replied. She skipped through the doorway and got to work.

It didn't take long for the coffee to be made, and Marinette called out the order. Adrien jumped up and jogged over to pick it up.

"Thanks Marinette," Adrien winked.

She melted. If she had known she was making the coffee for Adrien..!

Marinette retreated into the back and washed her hands.