Double Date

Marinette nervously twiddled her thumbs as Alya paced around her bedroom. Tonight, they planned to do a double date with Nino and Adrien.

Of course, Marinette didn't even dare to consider it a double date. Technically, her and Adrien weren't dating. So who was she to call it a double date? Her heart pounded in her chest as Alya showed Marinette what she was wearing.

She twirled in a short, red dress. It was cute and not too fancy. Perfect for the occasion that was definitely not a date.

"How do you like it?" Alya asked, posing with her hands on her hips.

"It's nice," Marinette nodded shakily. Her smile was crooked and her face just read uneasy.

Alya raised her eyebrow, confused by the look. "What's up?"

"Nothing, I'm just a little nervous that I'm going on a date with Adrien," Marinette said, standing up. She noticed her word choice. "I-I mean a dinner."

"You're also gonna be with me and Nino, so don't worry," Alya smiled. She placed a comforting hand on Marinette's shoulder. "If anything gets too awkward, I'll bail you out."

Marinette smiled, thankful for her friend. "Okay. Thanks Alya."

"Well, let's get you dressed, girl!" Alya exclaimed suddenly, removing her hand from Marinette's shoulder and walking over to her closet.

*

Alya and Marinette waited downstairs in her parents' bakery. Tom and Sabine thought it was a grand idea to host the date. They were so ecstatic about their daughters' first date, even if it was with Alya and Nino.

It really warmed Marinette's heart that her parents' approved of Adrien, but she was hoping they wouldn't share any embarrassing stories of her as a baby.

Marinette had decided on a pair of denim capris and a denim jacket over a cute, floral shirt.

The door to the bakery opened, and in the entry stood Nino and Adrien. Marinette's cheeks heated up as she noticed Adrien's attire. He was wearing a formal suit. Out of place, but still cute on him. Nino's outfit was more on the casual side; dark washed jeans and a blue button up shirt.

Marinette didn't know how Nino allowed Adrien to wear such formal clothes, but she guessed that he didn't do too much to stop him.

Adrien's emerald eyes glanced at Alya as he greeted her, his friendly smile lighting up the room. Marinette didn't dare to move, as her gaze was locked on Adrien.

Her heart skipped a beat as his eyes suddenly locked with Marinette's, his mouth falling open slightly. She could've swore she saw a hint of a blush form on his cheeks. But as soon as she checked, it was gone.

"Hey Marinette," Adrien greeted warmly.

"H-Hi," Marinette smiled, her voice cracking slightly.

Adrien scratched the back of his neck embarrassingly. "I didn't realize how casual everyone was dressing. Or else I would've wore something more fit for the occasion."

"My thoughts when I picked you up," Nino chuckled.

Noticing the look of embarrassment on Adrien's face, Marinette's heart sunk. She wanted to tell him the absolute truth.

"Well I think you look handsome," Marinette said to Adrien before she could stop herself. Her eyes widened as she choked out a laugh and inspected the blush on his face. "U-Uh, I mean-"

Alya wrapped an arm around Marinette's shoulder, silencing her. She glanced at Nino and Adrien. "How about we go sit down?"

The teens pulled out chairs from a table and sat down. Nino sat across from Alya and Adrien sat across from Marinette. Silence sat upon the table.

Marinette traced a circle on the table with her finger. She didn't know how to start a conversation. Especially with Adrien.

"Nice place you got here," Nino observed, looking around the bakery.

"Thanks," Marinette smiled.

"I swear, her parents make the best croissants," Alya nodded.

"Remember when you tried making croissants Alya? Two words; Epic. Fail," Nino laughed.

Alya reached across the table and playfully punched Nino on the arm. "Shut up! At least I tried."

Marinette laughed. Alya's eyes then darted over at Adrien and Marinette who remained quiet.

"So, what about you two? Any favorite memories together?" Alya asked.

Marinette glanced over at Adrien. He looked up at the ceiling, trying to remember his favorite memory of the two. They didn't have many, but one stuck out to him the most.

"Well, I'd say that one time when Marinette's uncle won the contest at Le Grande Hotel with his famous soup. Marinette's face when she found out was unforgettable," his emerald eyes glanced over at her and he smiled. "I'll never forget that look. The pride in her eyes, the joy in her smile."

Marinette's cheeks heated up immediately. She would've fainted right there if it weren't for Alya sitting beside her.

"Aw, that's totally cool," Nino smiled. He glanced at Alya. "If only we had cute moments like that."

Alya rolled her eyes, smiling playfully. "Oh, shut up you. Remember that one time I "accidentally" pushed you off the park bench? That was cute..."

Nino and Alya continued their banter while Marinette glanced back at Adrien who was staring at her intently. He smiled when she met his gaze.

"I'm glad you're my friend, Marinette," Adrien said truthfully.

Marinette's heart fluttered in her chest. She mustered up all the strength she could to answer him. Although she'd love to be more than just friends with Adrien, she managed to reply to his comment.

"I'm glad you're my friend too."

Tom strode over to the table, a platter of croissants in his hands. "I heard someone liked my croissants."

Nino and Adrien's eyes lit up with happiness as they watched the pastry being set down on the table. Marinette chuckled as she noticed the look of hesitation in their eyes. Being the gentlemen they are, she guessed they wanted to be polite.

"Go ahead," Marinette chuckled before watching the boys dig in.

Alya tapped Marinette on the shoulder. "Way to go, girl," she congratulated, giving her friend a high five.

"Say that to my dad," Marinette laughed. "He saved the day with the food."

"True. But you did too," Alya smiled.

"Thanks, Alya. Couldn't have done it without my best friend."

Adrien glanced up, crumbs on his face. He swallowed before speaking. "Gonna eat?" he asked politely.

"We'll wait until you two are done," Marinette nodded.

Nino glanced up then, his mouth full of mashed up croissants. "Suit yourselves," he spat.

Alya rolled her eyes while Marinette just laughed. Yep, it was the perfect night.