Scary Stories

Manon sighed, looking around Marinette's room. Marinette sat nearby. She had to watch the little girl for the evening since her mother, Nadia Chamack, was doing an exclusive interview in the next city over.

"I'm bored," Manon yawned, her legs crisscrossed. "Can we pleaseeeee play with the dolls?"

"We can't. I'm sorry, Manon," Marinette frowned, thinking back to the time when Manon was akumatized. "How about we do something else?"

"Like what?" Manon asked, her eyes sparking with interest.

"Uhh... I have some colored pencils and paper? You could draw."

"Nah," Manon replied, a bored look returning to her face. She flipped onto her back, twirling a piece of her hair. Then, she sat up, a wide grin on her face. "I know! You can tell me scary stories."

Marinette raised an eyebrow, completely shocked by the request. "What?!"

"Scary stories are fun," Manon grinned, crossing her legs eagerly and facing Marinette. "And, the boys in my class call me a sissy... I need to show them I'm not by telling them some good scary stories!"

One scary story would be the time you were akumatized into a creepy looking puppeteer that could control your victims and make them do whatever you wanted them to do, Marinette thought.

But she decided to not bring that up.

"Well, okay..." Marinette mumbled. "I don't really know any scary stories though..."

"Make it up as you go. Unless you're a scaredy cat!"

Marinette creased her eyebrows at the remark. She fought crime and encountered many terrifying looking akumas. No way was she a scaredy cat. Surely she could make up a scary story to a five year old.

"Alright then," Marinette smirked. "Get ready Manon because I'm about to tell you the scariest story ever."

Manon leaned in closer, intrigued.

"Chloe Bourgeois," Marinette whispered in the little girls ear.

Manon leaned back and raised an eyebrow. "Huh? That's not a scary story!"

"That's a matter of opinion..."

"Marinette!" Manon whined.

"Fine, fine," Marinette chuckled. She looked around her dim room. It was becoming very dark outside. Perfect setting for a scary story.

"Okay," Marinette said in a hushed voice. "Once, there was-"

"Chat Noir!" Manon shrieked, pointing a finger behind Marinette.

Marinette quickly turned around. Her eyes traveled around the room, but no one was there. She calmed down, realizing that it was just a prank.

"Manon!" Marinette scolded, facing the little girl. "Seriously? There's no time for jokes right now. I'm trying to tell a story."

"It wasn't a joke! I saw Chat there!" Manon replied, her finger pointing at the door.

"I don't believe you," Marinette said, narrowing her eyes. "Nice try scaring me, though. Next time yell "ghost" or something. Maybe then I'll feel scared. But Chat Noir just isn't a scary person."

"His green eyes were in the doorway, I swear!" Manon shrieked, her finger still hanging in the air.

"Whatever," Marinette laughed. "Can I continue my story?"

"But-"

"Manon."

She put her hand down and allowed Marinette to speak.

"Okay, so as I was saying, there was once a boy. He was walking in the woods on a dark and cold night, when-"

"There!" Manon shrieked loudly, pointing behind Marinette.

Marinette turned around again. Nothing. She sighed.

"Manon, there's nothing there."

"I swear there was something there. He was closer to you," Manon whimpered. Her eyes glittered with tears. "Please believe me. He ran into the closet when you turned around."

Marinette scooted over to the little girl. She hugged her comfortingly. "It's okay. Do you want me to check the closet?"

Manon shook her head no. "I don't want him to hurt you."

"He won't hurt me. This is Chat Noir we're talking about," Marinette smiled. She stood up and walked over to her closet. Her hand brushed the doorknob when Manon started crying. She curled up in a ball.

Marinette felt a bead of sweat run down her forehead. She now had a creepy feeling that someone else was watching them.

She twisted the doorknob and quickly opened up the closet door. She hesitantly peeked inside, but nothing was there.

"See? It's all safe."

Just as Marinette finished those words, a shadow moved in the corner of the room. It then charged at her, slamming her into the wall. Manon gasped and screamed at the top of her lungs.

Marinette fell to the floor, wincing in pain. She rubbed her head. "What was that?"

The same shadow she saw charge at her lurked in the corner of the room. It then manifested itself into a figure. Distinctive features formed and Marinette could identify the female akuma. Pale skin, silver hair, glowing green eyes. Not exactly Chat's, but close. It's easy to see why Manon would confuse the two.

The akuma narrowed her green eyes at Marinette.

"You have something Hawkmoth wants. I can sense it."

Marinette gulped, standing up. She needed to transform. Now.

Her eyes darted around her room until they landed on her swivel chair. She grabbed it and threw it at the akuma.

Marinette quickly fled into her bathroom to transform. Although the akuma knew she was Ladybug, Manon didn't. And she couldn't risk that.

Marinette lifted up her jacket and Tikki flew out. "Game time."