Chapter 3

Three days later, Pippa still wasn't feeling well. She still had a fever and had gone to the doctor. He'd said that she probably had the flu.

There was a new group chat for the tour, and Lin was constantly adding the new (or returning) cast members. It was nice to get to know everyone before they started rehearsal.

Lin: Hey, cast! We still have a lot of members that we haven't auditioned yet, but I want those already cast to meet me for some music rehearsal in the usual rehearsal space we use. Come prepared to run through some, if not all of the show. I'm thinking it will last about four to five hours. We might go over if some spots require more work than others. Is Friday a good date?

That was two days from today. Pippa wasn't sure how she'd feel by then, but she also knew that the music rehearsals were just as important as the staging rehearsals. Missing a music rehearsal was like missing a week of shows. It was the worst. Plus, some of the new cast members were going to be there.

Pippa's phone lit up with a notification from Renee.

Renee: how are you feeling?

Pippa: i don't think it's getting any better but i'm taking medicine right now

Renee: i hope you feel better.

Pippa: it's not going to be the same without you in the show. we have rehearsal Friday

Renee: i know, but i really need to spend more time with my children. you'll be okay. do you know the new angelica?

Pippa: no, she's not cast yet

Pippa sighed and got up from the couch. She'd been sleeping there most nights because she found it easier to prop her head up on the couch's armrest. She got her Hamilton book and sat at the piano and started practicing her parts.

After about a half hour, her head hurt even worse than it had when she started. She went to make a cup of tea and checked her phone again.

Jazzy: hey. do you want to run through some of the show?

Pippa: i tried to rehearse my songs and i feel like crap. you can still come over if you want.

Jazzy: i don't have to rehearse with you. i'll just come over to keep you company. we can watch chopped

Pippa: okay. the door will be unlocked when you get here.

Jazzy: be there in ten.

Pippa curled up on the couch and set her tea on the coffee table. She scrolled through Instagram as she waited. She saw that Jazzy had posted a picture of her and Pippa, with the caption "Feel better, Pippa!" Pippa smiled.

There was a knock on the door.

"It's Jazzy!"

"Come in!" Pippa called. Jazzy opened the door. She was carrying a grocery bag. She walked in and sat down next to Pippa, folding the blanket over them both.

"How are you?" she asked gently.

"I don't know. It might be getting a little better, but it's definitely worse than the day we had that meeting," Pippa admitted.

"I'm sorry. I hope you get better by Friday," Jazzy said. She opened the grocery bag. "I brought some stuff for you. I got you some lemon tea, and one of those pillows that you can stick in the microwave and make it warm."

Pippa pulled it out of the bag. It was a cinnamon roll emoji pillow. "Aw, Jaz."

"The fans call you a cinnamon roll. I figured they'd love it if you had a pillow shaped like one," she explained.

"Thank you! It's amazing!" Pippa said, hugging it. Jazzy laughed and snapped a picture.

"I'll send it to you," Jazzy promised. Pippa immediately posted it on Instagram with the caption 'Best friends are the best. Thanks for the company, even if I could get you sick'.

"Are you excited to go on tour?" Jazzy asked.

"I'm getting there. Right now I'm just thinking 'I want to die'," Pippa laughed. "Once I'm better, I'll actually start being excited."

"So, who do you think will be our new Schuyler Sister?"

"I don't know. I know Lin's looking at some people, but he hasn't really said anything to me. I'm sure whoever he picks will be extremely talented," Pippa said thoughtfully.

"Chopped?" Jazzy asked.

"Sure."

Jazzy turned on Pippa's TV and scrolled through the channels looking for Chopped.

"I do not understand how people cook like that," Jazzy said. "I can barely succeed at mac and cheese. Once I followed the steps in the wrong order and made macaroni in watery, cheesy liquid. It was disgusting."

Pippa laughed. "Oh, Jazzy."

Jazzy's phone started ringing. Pippa quickly muted the TV. Jazzy glanced at the number. "It's Lin." she said.

"Answer!" Pippa urged.

"Hi, Lin," Jazzy said. "Wait, really? Are you serious? That's so exciting! No, you don't need to call her, I can tell her. That's great! I'm so excited! Alright. I'll see you Friday."

Jazzy hung up and then squealed. "Pippa, he cast our new Schuyler Sister! Her name's Lana Carnell. She's been in Lion King before!"

"That's amazing! Is she coming to Friday's rehearsal?" Pippa asked excitedly.

"Yes! She'll be there."