Chapter 84

Lana wasn't feeling much better, but Daveed had found some Tylenol for her, which was starting to take effect. She was at least able to sit up and watch some Netflix with Jessa, Carleigh, and Kaitlyn, but she was still on vocal rest, so she didn't have any say in what they were going to watch.

That is how Lana ended up watching High School Musical with the girls, who wanted to "relive their childhood" or something like that.

It was quickly learned that Jessa knew every word to the script and vocal score, and wasn't afraid to share that talent with everyone else.

"Jessa, do we have to do this?" Carleigh asked, laughing a little bit.

"Of course we do. It wouldn't be the proper way to watch this movie without reenacting every scene. So, who wants to be my Troy?"

She is answered with a resounding silence.

"Lana, how about you?"

Lana shakes her head and coughs in response.

"Lana is the one who has a real reason to be off of the hook here," Anthony says, poking his head into the doorway.

"ANTHONY!" Jessa exclaims. "How long have you been listening?"

"Long enough to know that I should probably leave before I'm roped into singing that sappy love song about soaring and flying with you," Anthony tells them, walking away. It even gets a smile out of Lana.

Kaitlyn finally manages to calm Jessa down and just get her to watch the movie, and about halfway through, Carleigh starts to complain about being hungry.

"No!" Kaitlyn exclaims. "We don't even have enough food in here as is, probably. You can't eat anything more than you're given for breakfast, lunch, and dinner."

"Can't I just have my dinner now?" Carleigh whines.

"No. You can wait and eat with the rest of us. It's only 3:00, Carleigh," Jessa adds in.

"Ugh, fine," Carleigh rolls her eyes. Fifteen minutes later: "Is it time for dinner yet?"

"Shut up and watch the movie, Carleigh," Kaitlyn says, good-naturedly.

After the movie is finished, the three girls sit around and talk for a while. They try to include Lana, but it's hard since she can't join in on the gossiping.

"Attention Cast and Crew of Hamilton," a voice that sounds like Daveed's says over the loudspeaker. "It is my pleasure to inform you that the snow storm has passed, and the city is coming through to clear the town tomorrow. You should be able to return home for Christmas break only a day late."

Throughout the halls, cheers are heard.

"What are you all doing for Christmas day?" Carleigh asks.

"I'm not doing anything," Jessa admits.

"Me either," Kaitlyn tells them.

"We should get the girls' ensemble together! I can host," Carleigh offers.

"Oh my goodness, that would be so fun!" Jessa squeals.

"Lana, do you have plans?"

Lana nods, and mouths "family."

"Alright. I just thought I would offer," Carleigh smiles. Lana nods her thanks.

It's not Lana's first time being on vocal rest, but it's certainly the hardest. Every other time, she wasn't constantly with her friends, whom she wanted to be able to talk with more than anything.

She pulls out her phone, and starts to scroll through her Instagram feed. She sees that Pippa and Jazzy had spent their break from rehearsals on FaceTime with Renee. She likes a few pictures from her family, her little sister and her uncle, and friends from The Lion King, and then, she gets a text. It says on the notification that it's from Brett, but the content of the text says otherwise.

Brett: Hey Lana. I took Brett's phone because I knew that you had blocked my number. This is James. Meet me by the stage door at 5:00 today. Come alone. We need to talk. Love you babe, xx.

Lana suddenly starts shaking all over again. What a creep. She can't believe James' nerve.

She shoves her phone in the pocket of her sweatpants, grabs her blanket and wraps it around herself, and then runs out of the room. Well, as fast as she can run with a fever. She runs down the hall, until she finds Pippa, and heads into her open arms in tears.

"Shh, what's wrong Lana? Don't cry, it's bad for you voice."

Lana holds out her phone so that Pippa can read the text message.

"That jerk," she mutters under her breath. "How about this? I'll go instead of you, and take care of everything?"

Lana nods gratefully, and wraps Pippa in another hug to express her thanks.

Pippa is a bit scared as to what is going to happen next, but she knows that this is a bullet she is able to take for Lana, and is absolutely willing to do that.

~~~~~~~

rip abby, who has to start school tomorrow, and all of you readers who must struggle through this horrific event also titled 'school'