Chapter 18

A few days pass, and Pippa's headaches are becoming less and less frequent, as well as painful. She's able to go on again without being affected by the stage lights.
Everyone in the show seems to be in a better mood with Pippa back on her feet again. Even Lana seems more positive about everything. She's still a bit hard to deal with, according to Kaitlyn, in the hotel rooms, but she has magically gotten her blocking correct, making the show run smoothly. By the end of the show's first week in Portland, they've had more good shows than bad ones.
On Monday, everyone gathers in a conference room at the hotel to celebrate Pippa's birthday. Jazzy comes into the room last, carrying three big, pink boxes.
"I brought donuts!"
Jazzy opens up the boxes and reveals the donuts, which are loaded with toppings.
"Oh my goodness, those are so fun!" Pippa squeals.
"Go ahead and pick first, Birthday Girl," Jazzy tells her best friend. "All of the ones in this box are vegan." She points to the box on the left.
Pippa picks out a chocolate donut topped with Oreo cookies.
"These are delicious," Pippa tells Jazzy, taking a bite of the donut. The rest of the cast chooses their own, and quickly agrees with Pippa.
"Present time!" Lin announces, after they're all done eating. "Who wants to go first?"
"We will!" Daveed, Oak, and Anthony say. They present Pippa with a big box wrapped in light green paper, with a big pink bow on it.
Eagerly, Pippa pulls away the wrapping paper and opens the box, revealing a big, fuzzy, raspberry colored blanket.
"Careful, there's something inside of it," Anthony tells her. She pulls the edges of the blanket out of the box to find a framed picture of the Hamilton cast, that dated back to their days at the Public, so many years ago. The frame is inscribed with the phrase "how lucky we are to be alive right now" in a curly font.
"You guys, it's so beautiful," Pippa says, drawing in a quick breath. "When was this picture taken?"
"We took it on our first day of rehearsals. I forgot it existed until a few days ago, when I stumbled across it on my phone," Daveed tells Pippa.
"This is so sweet!"
Pippa pulls the guys into an awkward, four-way hug.
"Alright, me next!" Jazzy squeals. She hands Pippa a little box.
"That's so pretty Jas!" Pippa says, pulling out a necklace with a silver chain and an orange, sapphire pendant on it out of the box.
"I'm so glad you like it!" Jazzy says.
"Of course I do!" Pippa says, clasping it around her neck. She gives Jazzy a big hug, and then moves on to opening the next present, which, to her surprise, is from Lana. It's a gift certificate to the Drama Bookshop.
"For when we get back to New York," Lana explains.
"Thanks Lana," Pippa says, smiling sweetly.
It's strange how her mood can change so quickly. One minute, Lana is the nicest person, and the next, she's a terror that nobody wants to be around.
Pippa opens up a few more various presents from her cast mates, and then they're done.
"Alright, field trip now," Lin announces. Before Pippa can question what's happening, all of the cast members are on the bus.
"We rented out the theater downtown and they're doing a special showing of La La Land just for Pippa Soo's birthday," Lin announces, once everyone is settled.
The cast cheers, and Pippa blushes.
"We are also getting a lot of junk food, because that's the only way that you can really celebrate a birthday," Lin continues. Pippa laughs.
The group all goes inside, and they are almost immediately served popcorn, sodas, and candy.
Pippa takes a lemonade and a Hershey's bar, and Jazzy grabs a bag of Swedish Fish and a Diet Coke.
"Let's go girls; the movie is starting soon," Lin says to Pippa and Jazzy, who follow him into the theater.
"How did you get the theater to do this for us?" Pippa asks Lin.
Lin smirks.
"You'd be amazed at what I can get people to do for the promise of Hamilton tickets."
Both girls laugh. Before they know it, the movie is starting.
By the end, they are both crying a little bit.
Okay, more than a little bit.
After the movie, the whole company goes out to dinner.
Later that night, Pippa and Jazzy are back in their hotel room.
"Did you have a good day?" Jazzy asks.
"I had an amazing day. I think that this was one of my best birthdays ever," Pippa tells Jazzy.
That's all that Jazzy needs to hear to be satisfied. With all of the awful things that Pippa has had to go through recently, she deserves some happiness.