Chapter 40

When Pippa wakes up, Jazzy is gone. She looks at the clock, and it reads 11:00. Cursing under her breath, she climbs out of bed, and suddenly becomes aware of the pain in her stomach. 

"I've gotta get to the theater," she thinks, ignoring her body. Her legs feel wobbly, but she stumbles over to her suitcase, where she pulls out sweatpants and a t-shirt. She tosses them onto her body, removing her pajamas, and decides that her best option is to call Lin, since she undoubtedly missed the bus. 

"Lin? Can you send the bus back to the hotel to get me?"

"Pippa! Are you feeling better?" Lin asks, cautiously. 

"Yeah," she lies.

"Oh, that's wonderful! The bus will be there in fifteen minutes," Lin tells her. 

"Thanks. I'm really sorry that I overslept."

"It's no problem, Pip. I'm just glad that you're feeling healthy again." 

"Thanks," she says, and they exchange goodbyes and hang up the phone. The pain in her stomach is becoming worse. She feels like gagging. She runs into the bathroom and throws up before getting onto the bus. Soon, she's at the theater, where everyone is making a big deal out of her. 

"Pippa, are you sure that you're feeling better? You still look kind of green," Daveed says.

"Did you take nothing out of Wicked? There's nothing wrong with being green!" she snaps.

"I was just checking on you," Daveed replies, backing off a bit. 

"I'm fine," Pippa assures Daveed.

"Alright."

Lin taps a microphone then, sending a static sound throughout the auditorium. Many of the cast members cover their ears.

"Sorry," he says, into the microphone. "We are so glad to have our Eliza back today. Pippa, I'm glad that you're feeling better!" Many of the company members clap. After that, Lin lists off the songs that they're going to be rehearsing. Pippa can't help but mentally groan at the amount that she has to go on. She won't admit to anyone how gross she feels, though. She's had more shows on this tour that she hasn't gone on than anyone else, so she can't take another day off. It just doesn't feel right to her. 

She feels dehydrated, but she won't drink anything. Pippa knows that if she does, she'll just throw it right back up again. The dehydration is also making her feel light-headed.

Jazzy notices that Pippa still isn't back to her normal self, but she's insisting that she feels fine. If Pippa doesn't feel fine, Jazzy figures, she will learn her lesson in the end, and stop working herself until she breaks. 

It's one of Pippa's only flaws. She doesn't know when to stop herself, and she will wear herself down to the ground for her art. Some would call it admirable, but it worries Jazzy.

"Alright, 'Stay Alive (Reprise)' is up next," Lin announces, somewhere in the middle of the list of songs that need to be rehearsed.

Pippa drags herself up onto the stage, yet again. As she is sitting at Phillip's bedside, the stage lights are burning down on her, and she wishes for a drink more than anything. Her head begins spinning. The pain in her stomach begins greater. It seems like the room is spinning faster and faster.

"Maybe if I just close my eyes," she thinks to herself. Suddenly, everything goes black. 

When Pippa wakes up, she isn't in the theater anymore. She is in a bed in a small white room, with Jazzy in a chair beside her.

"What, where am I?" she asks, lifting her head up, off of the pillow. 

"Shhh, relax, Pip. You're in the hospital. You passed out during rehearsal."

"Well, am I going to be able to leave so that I can do the show tonight?"Jazzy stifles a laugh. 

"You have to be off for the rest of the week. Doctor's orders. They checked you out. You were suffering from a very bad allergic reaction, as well as severe dehydration, and they're wondering about a slight case of food poisoning," Jazzy informs her friend.

Pippa finds this as a shock. She knew about the allergic reaction, but was very unaware of the other things. 

"They're pumping some fluids into you now, so that should take care of the dehydration, but the allergic reaction and possible food poisoning you're going to have to stay here and wait out. They shouldn't last more than two more days, according to the doctor," Jazzy continues to explain.

Pippa is speechless. She had no clue what she was doing to her body by going to the theater that morning. 

"Jazzy?"

"Yeah Pip?" 

"I- I'm sorry."

"Pippa, it's okay. We all just need you to be a little bit more self-aware when it comes to this, alright?"

"I'll try my best."

"That's my girl. Your body knows its limits. Your job is to listen to it."

"I just- I feel bad about having to have so many understudies. The fans are so sad when I'm not onstage."

"Pippa, if it is compromising your health, the fans will get over it," Jazzy assures her. The two share a moment of silence. They're both deep in thought. Soon, Jazzy climbs into the small hospital bed next to Pippa, who immediately snuggles into Jazzy. 

"Jas?"

"Hm?"

"Thanks for being my best friend. I love you."

"I love you too, Pip. I love you lots."

~~~~~

Sorry about the wait, my dudes. I had an orchestra rehearsal and then I went to see my brother in jazz band... but here's the update!

~darkdisrepair