Chapter 21

They were all, coincidentally, wearing beanies of various colors. Kaitlyn's was a teal blue color, Pippa's was dark blue, Jazzy's was gray, and Renee's was white. It was a beautiful on the National Mall. The Washington monument stood proudly at the end of the seemingly endless stretch of grass before it.

"So, tell me about the tour!" Renee exclaimed.

"Portland was rough," Jazzy admitted. "The first week of rehearsals were just awful for everyone, and opening night was a train wreck."

Renee tilted her head to the side. "How so?"

"First of all, Lana kept messing up blocking and lyrics. Secondly, she missed her Schuyler Sisters entrance opening night. And also, Pippa was sick," Jazzy said. Renee turned to Pippa.

"How are you feeling, by the way, love?" she asked.

"A lot better. I'm like 99% there now," Pippa replied. "It's made D.C. so much easier already."

"I'm so glad. You were sick for a while and I was starting to get worried," Renee said. "So Lana missed your Schuyler Sisters entrance? What did you do?"

"We improvised the entire song. Kaitlyn stepped in to fill out the harmonies, thank god," Jazzy explained.

"The Schuyler Sisters song doesn't make sense with only two characters. You needed someone to do the harmonies and I knew them. It wasn't a big deal," Kaitlyn said.

"Kaitlyn Knox, it's not just a big deal. It's talent," Pippa scolded.

"I agree. You shone in ensemble," Renee said. "I can't deny that Lana isn't talented, but you are as well. Both in different ways. I wish that we could have performed together in Hamilton, Kaitlyn."

"I do, too."

"How are you, Renee?"

"I'm great! I miss you guys but it's been nice to just spend time with my family. I'm keeping track of where you are and when your shows are, don't worry."

"I still wish you were Angelica," Jazzy said. They were now at the base of the Washington Monument. They stopped for a moment to ask someone walking by to take a picture of them together. Renee was in the middle, with her arms around Pippa and Jazzy, and Kaitlyn jokingly made it so just the top of her beanie and her eyes were in the picture.

"Pippa, Jazzy, Renee AND KAITLYN!" Pippa laughed after the picture was taken.

They found a nice diner to eat at. Kaitlyn and Jazzy sat together on one side of the booth, and Pippa and Renee sat on the other.

Pippa was extremely contented to be back with Renee. The Schuyler Sisters finally felt complete with her there. It was nothing like the tense atmosphere that Lana brought when they hung out with her. She didn't realize how much she had missed Renee until today.

"I have your birthday present," Renee announced.

"I was wondering what the bag had been for," Jazzy laughed. Renee put the plastic bag on the table and got out a box wrapped in music wrapping paper, tied with a red ribbon.

"Open it, Pippa!" Renee exclaimed. Pippa smiled and gently untied the ribbon and peeled the wrapping paper off the box.

Inside were a pair of Toms with the lyrics to 'The Schuyler Sisters' printed on them and blue raindrop earrings.

"Thank you so much, Ren," Pippa said, hugging her friend.

The rest of the evening was filled with fun stories and gossip about the tour and Renee's life without Pippa, Jazzy, and Kaitlyn.

"Crap, it's ten. I have to run back to the theatre to run the show with Brett. He's coming back in two days and he says he doesn't want to slack off," Kaitlyn said, hurriedly getting up. She gave Pippa a ten-dollar bill. "Sorry, guys."

"No, go ahead. We have this covered," Jazzy said immediately. She glanced outside. It had gotten dark without them knowing it. "Do you need us to walk back with you?"

"I should be fine. I'll have your number pre-dialed in case someone decides to attack me," Kaitlyn assured them, while giving each of them a hug.

"Good luck," Pippa called.

"Keep in touch, Kaitlyn!" Renee added. "I want to know what you all are doing when you're an ocean away from me."

"Of course," Kaitlyn called back. Then she left the diner.

Jazzy, Pippa and Renee went outside to walk around the monuments for about an hour more and then decided to part ways. Renee promised to call and text as much as possible, mentioning that she might try and make it to their performance in London as well.