Chapter 23

Jazzy immediately sprung up from her own bed and hurried to usher Kaitlyn in. She shut the door after looking left and right down the hall.

"Okay, this calls for ice cream," she announced. "I'll be right back." Pippa hugged Kaitlyn and sat her down on her bed.

"What happened, Kait?"

"Brett and I practiced and we told each other how we felt, but then Lana invited him out and he accepted," Kaitlyn said, wiping the tears off her face.

Jazzy returned holding three cartons of vanilla ice cream and plastic spoons. She handed one each to Pippa and Kaitlyn.

"Wait, HOLD UP! You told Brett how you feel about him?" Jazzy exclaimed. "What did he say?!"

"He said he liked me back."

"Then why in the world is he going out to coffee with Lana?" Pippa put in. "He just said that he liked you, and now he's agreeing to go to coffee with someone else?"

"That's not all. She had one of those heart-shaped boxes of chocolates and gave it to him," Kaitlyn said, eating a spoonful of her ice cream.

"What?" Jazzy whisper-shouted. "That jerk. I'll talk to him-" she said, jabbing her spoon in the air like a sword.

"Jazzy, you can't," Kaitlyn insisted. "It's his choice. I guess he just doesn't think of me the way that he thought."

"I'm sorry, Kaitlyn," Pippa said, hugging her friend. "We can talk to Lana if you want, and tell her to back off."

"No. I don't want Lana to know she got to me. Maybe Brett isn't the guy I thought he was," Kaitlyn said, somewhat bitterly. "Clearly he's not that caring if he decides to go out with Lana, even though he claimed he liked me."

"Do you want to talk about it more?" Pippa asked gently.

"No," Kaitlyn said softly.

" We're not going to think about guys anymore. We're independent women!" Jazzy exclaimed. "We're the Schuyler Sisters. We don't need to rely on dudes. They can be stupid and it's not worth all the pain and suffering involved in interacting with them."

"Says the one who's dating Anthony," Pippa teased.

"You know what, Pip!" Jazzy rolled her eyes. "I don't depend on Anthony. Let's watch something. Tangled."

"Oh, god," Kaitlyn laughed.

"What? What's so bad about Tangled?" Pippa asked.

"Nothing, I just played Pascal in Tangled Broadway," Kaitlyn explained.

"Wait, Pascal was a Rapunzel role?" Jazzy asked. "I thought they'd just have a puppet or something."

"You're close. I wore a green costume and I had a pink ribbon that would be Pascal's tongue. They wrote some songs so that Pascal would sing, even though he doesn't in the movie."

"That would be so cool! When was it on Broadway? Why didn't I see this!?" Pippa exclaimed.

"We ran for three years. It might have been during your run in Hamilton, so maybe you were too busy," Kaitlyn explained. "We had some Tony nominations but we didn't win anything."

"Were you nominated?"

"Yes! I was nominated a year before Hamilton for Best Featured Actress in a Musical, and our show was nominated for Best Musical and Best Orchestration, and then our Flynn Rider was nominated for Best Leading Actor," Kaitlyn told them.

"Okay! We're buying the Tangled album and jamming out till we're too exhausted to sing!" Jazzy exclaimed.

Kaitlyn laughed as Jazzy and Pippa searched frantically on the music store for the cast album. After they bought it, they got Jazzy's portable speaker and turned on the first song.

The rest of the night, Pippa, Jazzy, and Kaitlyn belted out Tangled songs until they were all breathless and tired. By the end, Pippa and Jazzy know all of the songs that Kaitlyn sang in the show, in addition to some of the other parts.

Kaitlyn got some of her stuff out of her room and slept in Pippa and Jazzy's room. She almost managed to forget about Brett.

Almost.