Chapter 161

Being in charge of Pippa and Steve's engagement ring was more stress than Jessa or Lana had mentally prepared for, but it was fun, in a way.

They definitely hung out a lot more- unified by the shared secret they shared, it was almost impossible to have an honest conversation with anyone but each other.

Not that Jessa had a problem with Steven trusting the ring to them. It was a sweet gesture of his confidence, but it was also an unbelievable point of anxiety. Especially since it was going to be hard to hide from Pippa outright.

It was even harder for Lana, who, as Pippa's Angelica, hung out with Pippa nearly every day. While Jessa could avoid Pippa without looking as suspicious, there was no conceivable way for Lana to prevent herself from seeing Pippa.

"Well, I just talked to Steve," Jessa said, sliding into the seat next to Lana. "He wanted to confirm that we have the package."

"We do, don't we?" Lana asked, sipping her pink lemonade.

"Yeah, it's in my backpack in our room right now," Jessa said reassuringly.

"I thought we were just keeping it in our room, and not in one of our backpacks."

"Chances are that someone would see it and spill the beans, probably like Kaitlyn or Ariana," Jessa reminded Lana. "No one is going to root through my backpack. It'll be fine. We're fine."

It sounded more like she was trying to convince herself just as much as she was trying to make Lana feel better.

"That date cannot get here any slower," Lana complained. "I just want to be rid of it."

"Rid of what?" Jazzy asked, from across the table.

Both Jessa and Lana flushed instantly.

"Sharkweek," Jessa blurted. "You know how it is."

"I do," Jazzy said, laughing. "Poor you, Lana."

Lana kicked Jessa under the table. "Thanks a lot," she hissed. "Now they're all going to think it's sharkweek."

"No problem, babes," Jessa laughed.

Lana froze.

What?!

Jessa wasn't acting like anything was wrong, so Lana decided not to comment on the nickname, but inside, she was a mess. What had changed? Or was it something Jessa had always said to everyone, and Lana was just now noticing it.

Jazzy had noticed, Lana could tell. The sympathetic look said it all.

"Guess what, guys," Carleigh said from her seat next to Daniel. "We get to go to Universal for a day, and I'm going to the Jurassic Park section, and I am pumped. Averie's going to get a new stuffed animal."

"Isn't that a shock," Kaitlyn commented. "Carleigh at Jurassic Park."

"Don't judge me, Kaitlyn Knox," Carleigh pouted. "Don't get me started on your Harry Potter obsession. You have no rights here."

"What a savage," Jessa laughed. "You're such a gem, Carleigh."

"Why thank you," Carleigh said, flipping her hair and whacking Daniel in the face in the process.

"Personal space!" Daniel exclaimed. Carleigh instantly scooted closer to her boyfriend.

"Is this close enough for you?" she asked, tickling his nose with the end of her ponytail.

"It's fine, thank you," Daniel said, leaning away until he was practically in Steven's lap. Steven just laughed and flicked water at Daniel and Carleigh.

"This is a fancy establishment, no shenanigans," Daveed scolded.

Everyone just rolled their eyes.

Lana couldn't focus on the conversation anymore. How could Jessa just casually throw out something like 'babes' and then act like everything was fine and normal?

Her phone lit up with a notification.

Jazzy: you okay, girl?

Lana: not really, jessa just said something that kind of bothers me

Jazzy: i know, i heard. if you want to talk, we can go to the bathroom.

Lana: it's fine, i can deal with it.

Jazzy: just let me know if you do, okay?

Lana: i will, thanks, jaz

Jazzy: of course

The rest of dinner went by. Lana paid more attention to Jessa's conversation than usual, trying to figure out what, if anything, had changed between the two of them. But nothing Jessa said ever hinted at the fact that she had changed her mind. Nothing.

After dinner, they had about a half-hour before they had to rehearse. Lana went over to Jazzy's room, afraid to hang out with Jessa. She wasn't sure what would happen if she did.

"Did you ask her about it?" Jazzy asked once they'd both settled in, Lana sitting on Anthony's bed while Anthony played with Jazzy's hair.

"No, not yet."

"What is this about?" Anthony asked, pausing mid-braid.

"Jessa and Lana," Jazzy explained.

"Um, if you want me to leave, I can," Anthony offered awkwardly. "I know you probably want girl talk."

"It doesn't matter," Lana said, shrugging. "Maybe you'd have some insight."

"So what is this we're talking about?"

"Jessa called me 'babes' at dinner, and I don't know what I'm supposed to do," Lana told Jazzy and Anthony. "I don't know if it was intentional or on purpose, and if I ask her, I'm going to seem clingy."

"If I'm being fair, here, Jessa calls a lot of people a lot of names like that," Anthony said after a few seconds. "She calls Carleigh 'babe' and even people like Brett and Thayne have gotten their fair share of endearing nicknames. She does that to people she trusts and likes."

"But what does that mean for me?"

"I think she's just comfortable with you again, and it slipped out," Jazzy suggested. "She hasn't been casual with you in a while, remember? You two haven't really talked in forever. So take it as a good sign. She's letting her guard down, which means she trusts you. She doesn't feel awkward around you, because if she still did, stuff like 'babes' wouldn't slip out."

"I agree," Anthony said, nodding. "She probably didn't realize she was doing it, or maybe she did afterward, but if you make it a big deal, you're going to lose that trust again. It's up to you, but I wouldn't say anything to her. You'd make her self-conscious. You know how carefully she was treading around you before. Even all the guys noticed. And we usually don't notice girl problems."

"Thanks," Lana said, letting out a breath she didn't realize she'd been holding. "You should both be therapists."

"That's what friends are for."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

aww i love this chapter guys