Chapter 85

At around 4:45, Pippa led Daveed, Oak, and Brett to where James had asked Lana to meet him. She had told Lana to go hide in the balcony of the theatre with Jazzy and Carleigh.

All the guys of the cast had agreed to protect Lana from James. They knew that the two of them had some history together, and none of the guys even liked James, anyway.

"You need to tell James to back off," Pippa informed Daveed. "He keeps stalking Lana and she's getting really freaked out."

"You know, Pippa, I've been thinking about that," Daveed told her seriously. "I know that James had been clashing with a lot of the ensemble and many of the leads. I'm beginning to think that we may have to recast. It's too much work and his skill does not make up for his problems in the slightest. It's almost a waste of time to even try to rehearse with him."

"I agree. We should have fired him a long time ago," Pippa replied. "But at the same time, it requires a lot of rehearsal to find a new cast member."

"Anyone is better than James," Daveed said. "I'll consult everyone else. I understand that he's had a bit of a history with Lana?"

"He wasn't exactly a kind and generous boyfriend," Pippa said. "Without betraying her trust, I just know that he makes her extremely afraid. It's not an environment that anyone should have to deal with on tour, let alone at all."

"That makes complete sense, Pippa," Daveed said. "Thank you for your opinion. It won't happen immediately, of course. I'd have to find a new ensemble member and process the work that we'd need to complete in order to fire James."

"Actually... I'm not asking permission."

"What?"

"Lin told me that if I felt like it was needed, I could make casting changes. I don't need your permission. This is not your tour to run, Daveed. Despite what you may think, the responsibility has fallen to all of the original cast members, not just you. You don't have to worry so much about perfecting the show. It's on all of us."

"I'm just puzzled as to why he didn't tell me."

"I don't know. But I will be firing James in the next week. We'll all look at finding a replacement. Until then, Jonas can fill in for him."

"Whatever you think is best, since Lin seems to have given you the power," Daveed said. "I have to go and rehearse. Good luck."

"Thank you, Daveed," Pippa said. She felt somewhat guilty about being so harsh to Daveed, but at the same time, she was fed up with him. He assumed that he had all of the power since Lin left. In reality, Lin had spoken individually to some of the cast members about separate responsibilities- Daveed had just taken his instructions a little too far.

While Oak, Daveed, and Brett went to find James, Pippa went to find Lana.

She found her friend curled up in a ball under a blanket in the girl's ensemble dressing room. At first, Pippa thought Lana was asleep, but then she could see that Lana was on her phone.

"Hey," Pippa said, sitting down next to Lana. "I just wanted to tell you... we're firing James. He's going to leave the tour as soon as possible. I just thought you'd want to know."

Lana looked up. "What?" she asked.

"I talked to Daveed... you shouldn't have to deal with someone who hurt you that much. It wasn't fair to you," Pippa continued. "We're in the process."

Lana exhaled. "That means a lot, thank you, Pippa."

"I know what it's like. Soon, you won't have to worry anymore. He'll be gone, and you'll be free," Pippa reassured her.

"Thanks, Pippa. You're an amazing person," Lana said. She sneezed.

"You'd better stop talking before you get even more sick," Pippa scolded. "I'm going to go find Jazzy, but text me if you need anything, alright?"

Lana nodded.

"Good. I'll see you later, Lana," Pippa said, standing and leaving. "If you need me, just text me, okay?"

Lana nodded again.

Pippa smiled and then disappeared around the corner.

~~~~~

Later that day, a text was sent out to the group chat (minus James).

Daveed: Attention cast members. We are currently in the process of firing James from the cast, and we will be looking into finding James' replacement. Jonas will be filling in for James until that happens. We ask that you keep this as quiet as possible so that all cast members have their privacy in this situation. Once Christmas break is over, we will hopefully have our new cast member. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~

good news! the freshman was discharged from the hospital a few days ago, so i think she's doing a lot better!

the end of the james era is on the horizon... 

have a great day!