Chapter 55

The rest of rehearsal was awkward, to say the least. Jazzy was snippy, Kaitlyn already hated James, Lana was terrified, and Pippa was just bewildered. She didn't understand why everyone was so upset, and it made her depressed.

On top of that, they rehearsed almost the entire show to test James out with the rest of the cast. Poor Carleigh had to deal with his incompetence in 'Yorktown', and he ended up tripping her, sending her sprawling across the stage.

"You okay, Carleigh?" Brett asked. He was watching from the sidelines, since Lin was still rehearsing as Hamilton.

Carleigh looked a little irritated. "Yeah, I just can't believe I screwed that up," she said, shaking her head in frustration. "Usually that's one of my best parts."

Pippa exchanged glances with Brett. Carleigh was blaming herself for the mess-up, but Pippa had seen it all happen. James hadn't been doing the correct blocking- and Carleigh hadn't been the only who who had been messed up by James. Daveed had almost run into James as well.

"Alright, let's start at the top of 'Non-Stop,'" Alex announced. Pippa groaned and got up from where she'd been sitting in the audience and rolled onstage, too lazy to actually stand up.

"Get up, Pippa," Jazzy said impatiently. Pippa sat up.

"Why are you so mad at me?" she asked. Jazzy just turned around to go to her place for the beginning of the song.

Pippa blinked, startled, and then headed to her spot as well. She watched Lana head to her spot. From a distance, Lana appeared to be composed, but when Pippa talked to her up close, she didn't appear to be as calm as she looked.

Everyone seemed to be acting strange. It was all so confusing.

The opening bars of 'Non-Stop' started to play and Pippa tried to stop herself from worrying about everyone else.

But it was hard, considering that from the upper level she could see Carleigh trip over James again. Pippa couldn't help but be exasperated. This was turning out to be a Lana-level disaster. Just when they had started to get passed the lack of talent in one part of the cast, they were given lack of talent in another part of the cast.

Pippa opened her mouth to sing but was distracted by James colliding with Kaitlyn and then tripping over the staircase.

Alex stopped the orchestra and the music came to a screeching halt. "Alright, let's move on to 'Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story,'" he said somewhat irritably.

They all got in position and Pippa went backstage to wait for her cue.

That song went smoothly. James didn't mess up and they got through it without having anyone screw up the words or the blocking. That was a feat in itself.

~~~~~

Pippa sat down in her chair and started to do her makeup for the show. Jazzy walked in about two minutes later.

Pippa stopped what she was doing and stared at Jazzy as her friend flopped down in her own chair.

"Can you tell me what's wrong?" Pippa asked.

Jazzy sighed and brushed her hair out of her eyes. "Why haven't you told me? I know it's coming, and I would just really appreciate it if you would just say something about it."

Pippa frowned.

"About what?"

"You know what. Explain to me why Anthony was talking to you at breakfast, or I'll make you tell me," Jazzy said impatiently.

"It wasn't anything that you need to worry about!" Pippa exclaimed. "What makes you think that it's about you?"

"Well, Anthony is my boyfriend, and you guys never have a conversation between just the two of you. I know what it's about," Jazzy snapped.

"Jaz, relax," Pippa laughed. "It's fine. You'll find out soon."

"Would it kill you to include me in things sometimes? I swear, sometimes I think I am the 'and Peggy' of this friendship group."

"What?!" Pippa said. "Why would you ever think that?! You're my best friend!"

"I'm starting to doubt that, because if you were, then you'd tell me that Anthony is going to break up with me!" Jazzy shouted.

Pippa blinked. "That's what you think we talked about?" she demanded.

Jazzy looked surprised. "Obviously-? What else would it have been about?"

"I told you, we're changing the beatboxing in 'Take a Break,'" Pippa said. "Trust me, he's not going to break up with you. He loves you so much! Why did you think he was going to break up with you?"

Jazzy exhaled. "He's just been super secretive and I feel like he's pulling away from me. I'm scared that I'm losing him, and I don't know what to do about it."

"He's just going through alot right now, but it has nothing to do with you. Trust me. Just be the same Jazzy you are and you'll see how much he cares about you," Pippa reassured her friend.

Jazzy hugged Pippa. "I'm sorry I yelled, Pippa. You're always my Eliza."

"And you're always the queen of my heart, Jazzy."