Chapter 24

Pippa and Jazzy feel awful for Kaitlyn. They can't believe that Lana would do that, even though she knows that Kaitlyn likes Brett. They thought that there was an unwritten girl code that forbid that.
"Kaitlyn totally had dibs," Jazzy says to Pippa, the next morning.
"I mean, I know that, and you know that, but for some reason, Lana doesn't seem to," Pippa complains.
They stop talking about it when they notice that Kaitlyn is starting to stir in the bed that she is sharing with Pippa. Soon, Kaitlyn opens her eyes, and sits up.
"Morning Kait," Jazzy says. "How did you sleep?"
"Not well. Brett kept appearing in my dreams," Kaitlyn pauses. "Oh my goodness, that sounds creepy." The girls all laugh.
"No, we know what you mean," Pippa assures her. "That's awful."
Pippa pulls Kaitlyn into a hug.
"Do you want us to say something to Brett?" Jazzy asks.
"No. It's okay... It's just that Brett was the first guy that I've ever actually told that I have feelings for him, and then... well..."
Kaitlyn trails off.
"That's so scary. I'm so proud that you did that, even though it didn't work out like you wanted it to," Pippa tells Kaitlyn.
"Thanks Pip."
Kaitlyn is so thankful to have Jazzy and Pippa. They're just like the big sisters that she never had.
"Well, I hate to say this, but we have rehearsal soon. Let's get dressed," Jazzy informs everyone.
"Alright," Kaitlyn sighs. She pulls on a t-shirt and leggings, then pulls her hair up in a ponytail. "I'm not trying any harder than this," she announces.
"You look fine," Pippa assures her.
When the girls head over to the theater, they get there just in time to see Brett and Lana walking in together after their coffee date.
"Just hold your head up high. It's okay," Jazzy whispers to Kait, squeezing her hand. Kait pulls her sunglasses off her her head and over her eyes so that they can't see the look of hurt when she walks by her two cast members.
"Hey Kait, thanks again for working on the dances with me last night," Brett says, as she passes by.
Jazzy gives him a stone-cold glare as they walk by without responding.
"What was that about?" Lana asks, after they walk away. She has a certain jeer to her tone.
"I don't understand girls," Brett mutters, burying his face in his hands.
"I'll never confuse you," Lana promises, grabbing Brett's hand.
Brett doesn't stop her.
Lana takes this as a sign. Still holding his hand, she leads him to the plush seats in the auditorium, and once they are seated, she rests her head on his shoulder.
Brett doesn't even flinch.
He seems to be lost in thought.
"I had a great time with you this morning, Brett," Lana tells him.
"Oh, yeah, I had fun too," he replies.
"We should do it again."
"Sure," he says.
"I'm so glad that you feel the same way as I do, Brett. You know, I really like you," she says. Something devious inside of Lana is telling her to see how far she can stretch this. "Do you like me too?"
"Oh, uh, yeah?" Brett says, unsure of how else to respond. He does like Lana a little bit, but his heart isn't fully invested, like Lana's is. He still has feelings for Kaitlyn too. He can't deny it. But Lana is right here, practically begging for him.
How does he always manage to get himself in such a pickle?
"Good! I'm so glad, because that means that I can do this," Lana says. She grabs Brett's face, and the next thing that he knows, their lips are pressed together.
Lana can feel Brett squirming a little bit. She wonders for a brief moment if she did this too soon, but once the tension leaves his body, she knows that she is fine.
Soon, she feels him kissing back.
Brett can't quite process what is happening. He just goes with it, and doesn't even realize what he's done, until they pull away.
"Oh my God," he whispers under his breath.
He looks up, and sees Pippa standing right in front of him, a dangerous, steely look in her eye.
"You asshole," she says coldly, and then spins on her heel and strides away.
Brett can't figure out what's going on. Pippa never swears.
"I have to go," he tells Lana, and gets up from the seats.
Running after Pippa, he grabs a hold of her arm in the hallway.
"What the hell is wrong with you?" she screams, wrenching out of his grasp.
"What do you mean?" Brett asks.
"You were the first guy that she ever confessed her feelings to. Do you know how much that means? I don't think so. You're just one of those guys who toys with every girl's heart that he comes across." Pippa screams. "Kaitlyn is my sister. Anyone who breaks her heart means nothing to me. That includes you."
"What the heck are you talking about?"
"Kaitlyn! You gave her your heart, and then you ripped it away."
"I was never that interested in Kaitlyn. I was just saying that so she wouldn't feel badly," Brett says, crossing his arms. "She's sweet and all, but she doesn't have enough fire for me."
"I'm sorry, but if I heard this story correctly, you confessed your feelings first. " Pippa screams. "That has to mean something. I'm not doing this because I care about you. I love Kaitlyn a hell of a lot more than I trust you."
Brett realizes that Pippa has a point. He can't back out of this anymore.
"You've got me," he says, casually.
"You will never find anyone as trusting, or as kind, as my sister. I love her more than anything in this life. Do NOT give me that tone of voice, Brett Rico. Were you the first one to admit your feelings?" Pippa asks, through gritted teeth.
He nods, weakly.
"Fix. This," Pippa tells him.
At that, she stalks into her dressing room and slams the door in Brett's face.
He has never seen Pippa so mad.