Chapter 37

Rehearsals didn't go as well as everyone would have liked. After they got through 'Take a Break', they did most of the first act. 'Alexander Hamilton' went smoothly, but then the spotlights started acting strangely. 'Yorktown' was all messed up. When the ensemblists hit their marks for when they were all individually spotlighted, almost none of them actually had a spotlight.

The techies had to scramble around and try to sort things out, so the cast moved on to other songs. 'Schuyler Sisters' was another rough spot. Pippa messed up only slightly, because she stepped off the turntable too soon and almost fell over, but she managed to recover. Lana screwed up the harmonies so badly that Pippa could see people visibly cringing.

"Come on, you guys need to keep it together! What is wrong with you? We've been doing this show for months now. There should not be mistakes like this," Lin shouted. "From the top, and if it's not perfect, I swear I will keep all Schuyler Sisters and their understudies until midnight tonight."

Pippa mentally groaned. She managed not to make any noise out loud, though. She didn't want to make Lin any more frustrated with the cast than he already was. The Schuyler Sisters always seemed to go horribly, and Pippa was tired of being part of the actors that brought the entire rehearsals down. It was exhausting and irritating at the same time. It was mostly Lana's fault, but everyone was punished for her mistakes.

They started from the beginning again and Lana screwed up the song again, singing the wrong part of the song when it was supposed to be another part of the song. Alex stopped the orchestra with an exasperated look. Lana stopped singing.

"Oh, no, Lana, you continue singing until you get to the right part of the song," Alex said. "We can all wait. This is what a show will be like."

They all stood around while Lana wracked her mind for the right lyrics. None of them could help her, they just kind of stood there and improvised lines.

They had dinner, and then they went to bed. They would open the next morning, which made Pippa slightly nervous because the rehearsal hadn't gone well at all. It was going to be a disaster. She already missed beautiful Salzburg.

The next day, Pippa woke up feeling awful. She had an extremely bad headache and her stomach hurt. She also was fairly certain she got a fever overnight. It was possibly the worst Pippa had ever felt in a long time, and that even took into consideration how sick she'd been in Portland.

The last time Pippa had felt like this, it was the time when she accidentally ate eggs.

That was probably what was bothering her. She knew it would be difficult to communicate her allergy through the language barrier and it often slipped her mind. Usually it wasn't a huge deal when she had a reaction. It wasn't a normal, throat-closing reaction. Eggs made her immune system plummet and more often than not, made her extremely sick for at least two days.

This was not good. It was opening night that night, and Pippa didn't want to miss that. She loved opening nights. The energy was always amazing.

"We have to go to early rehearsals," Jazzy said, shaking Pippa gently. Pippa groaned. "Come on, Pippa, we have to go or Lin will flip out."

Pippa dragged herself out of bed and put on a pair of her most comfortable leggings and her Angelica sweatshirt, and put her Eliza Hamilton scarf over her head. She just wanted to curl up in a ball and sleep, but instead she forced herself to go to rehearsal.

They ate a quick breakfast and then hopped onto the bus to go back to the theatre. Everyone else seemed wide awake and enthusiastic about tonight, but Pippa had a hard time pumping herself up for the shows when she felt so horrible. She was cold, and shivering, and tired.

"All right, I'd like to run 'Schuyler Sisters', 'Take a Break', 'Yorktown', and 'Reynolds Pamphlet' first," Lin said as everyone filed onto the stage. "After that we'll see how much time we have left, possibly get lunch and then rehearse some more."

"Are you okay, Pippa?" Daveed asked as Pippa prepared herself to go onstage for 'Schuyler Sisters'. Pippa just shrugged.

"I'll get over it," she said. Daveed frowned.

"Are you sure?" Daveed asked.

Pippa sighed.

"Pippa, you need to rest if you're not feeling well," Daveed said seriously. "You can't perform if you're sick. You could contaminate Lin when you kiss him."

"It's not contagious, Daveed," Pippa said wearily.

"Pippa."

"It's my allergy to eggs. I must have eaten some yesterday," Pippa explained. "It makes me sick most of the time. Lin wouldn't be able to get sick from me."

"You should rest. An allergic reaction isn't a small matter, Pippa. Don't worry, Carleigh can go on for you tonight," Daveed told her.

Pippa relented after a bit and decided to go back to the hotel, put on fuzzy socks, and sleep. 

~~~~

Sorry about the late update, I have a super stuffy nose so rip me. I've been so unproductive today.

~darkdisrepair

p.s. this is one of my favorite chapters honestly