Chapter 8

When Pippa wakes up, she knows that they still have a long day of driving. She's still not feeling the best. Maybe the drive will be a good thing for her, since she will be able to rest.
Popping a cough drop into her mouth, she grabs her phone and goes on Twitter.
She smiles at the mention from Lin last night. She saves the picture.
"Pippa! You're awake," Jazzy says, turning to Pip after noticing the movement from her friend. "Are you feeling any better?"
"Yeah," Pippa lies, rubbing her eyes.
"Put in headphones and relax, alright? We can't risk your health," Jazzy says. She knows her best friend well, and can tell when she is lying.
After making sure that Pippa is absolutely content with the Dear Evan Hansen soundtrack playing through her headphones, Jazzy pulls her phone back out and sends a quick text to Lin.
Jazzy: Pippa's awake. She claims that she's feeling a little better, but I don't believe it. Haha. When are we stopping for breakfast?
Lin: I was just waiting for Pippa to wake up to tell the driver to make a stop. I didn't want to have to wake her up. There is a rest stop in a few miles that we can hit up.
Jazzy is very glad of this, and becomes even happier when she feels her stomach grumbling. She is in desperate need of Starbucks.
"Pip," Jazzy says, tapping her friend's shoulder. "We are stopping for breakfast soon. Promise me that you'll eat something, alright?"
"Okay," Pippa says, lacking the energy to fight.
Soon, the bus pulls over. Pippa thinks that they're somewhere in Iowa, but is almost positive that they're super close to being in Nebraska. Wrapping a blanket around herself, she follows Jazzy off of the bus and into the rest stop. They both get flatbread subs from Subway and then head to Starbucks.
"Hello. How may I help you?" a teenage boy with little personality asks the girls.
"I'll have an iced caramel macchiato, and she wants a recover wellness tea," Jazzy says, speaking for her friend without even asking her. She lives for that tea when she is sick, and knows that Pippa will be thankful later.
Pippa is still too tired to argue.
After they get their drinks, the girls head back to the bus and snuggle up again.
"Pippa, I've never heard of a cold going for so long. Are you sure that's all that it is?" Jazzy asks.
"Yeah, I'm fine. This is how it is when I get sick. It doesn't happen much but I get really long-lasting side effects when I do. One time, I had a cough and stuffy nose for two months straight," Pippa admits.
"Wow. I would hate that," Jazzy says.
"It was pretty bad," Pippa admits.
After a few more hours, the girls start to get fidgety. They've already been en route 24 hours, and still have 20, or so, more to go.
"Who decided that it was a good idea to do this by bus, again?" Pippa asks, laughing. She's starting to perk up a bit. The tea that Jazzy made her drink is really helping.

------------------

Pippa is asleep when their bus finally makes its way into Oregonian soil. Everyone cheers, which is what wakes her up.
"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Oregon!" Lin says, on the PA system so that the whole bus can hear him.
Pippa looks out the window and can easily see snow-capped mountains in the distance, even despite the lack of sunlight at this hour.
"We should be rolling into Portland before noon. I know that you all are eager to get out and explore, so feel free to take today to do that. Our rehearsals will start tomorrow."
Everyone cheers again, as Lin sits back down in his seat. Excitement bubbles up inside of Pippa.
"Jazzy, do you want to go to the zoo?" Pippa asks, excitedly.
"Yes!" Jazzy replies, laughing at how they are both five-year-olds, trapped in twenty-something-year-old's bodies.
As Lin predicted, they get into Portland in about five hours. By the time that they're all settled into the hotel, it's a little after noon. Jazzy and Pippa are sharing a room, and Lana and Kaitlyn's room is right next door. The four girls all decide to head out to the zoo together.

"Elephants!" Pippa squeals, looking at the zoo map.
"I guess they've got a pretty good elephant exhibit here," Lana says.
"I heard that too!" Jazzy says. "It isn't for a while though. Let's start heading through!"
The girls coo at the cute animals and take a lot of pictures as they're heading through the zoo. They have a little too much fun, considering that they're grown women, but they don't really care.
After they're done, Jasmine suggests that they go to this ice cream place that she found called Salt and Straw. There are a bunch of weird hippie flavors, and considering that they're in a hippie town, they think it is a good way to begin immersing themselves in local culture.
They all order small dishes. Pippa gets Cinnamon Snickerdoodle, Jasmine gets Honey Lavender, Lana gets Freckled Woodblock Chocolate, and Kaitlyn is brave and tries the Pear & Blue Cheese ice cream.
Apparently, it's not as gross as it sounds.
To Pippa, it still sounds pretty gross.
After their ice cream, the girls are all tired. They decide to head back to the hotel and order in a pizza, then get some rest for rehearsals tomorrow. It's going to be a fun time, they already know it.