Chapter 94

Lana takes a deep breath and knocks on the door to her parents' apartment. Her fifteen-year-old sister Olivia opens the door.

"Lana!" she squeals, wrapping her big sister in a hug.

"How are you, Liv?" Lana asks.

"I'm pretty good. I miss you, though," Olivia admits.

"I miss you too."

"How's the tour?"

"It's different. I'll tell you all about it later," Lana promises. "How's Dad?"

"It's getting worse," Olivia admits. Lana sighs. About two years ago, their father had developed a drinking problem, and he refused to admit it. Though their mom begged him to go to therapy, he wouldn't. He was very violent when he was drunk, and had been known to hit his family members, especially Lana's mom. "I think he's sober now, but only because Mom hid his beers two days ago. He's in withdrawal, though."

Lana groans. "Well, can I see Mom at least?"

"Oh, yeah! Of course!" Olivia smiles. "Mom! Lana's home!"

"Oh! Lana, come here, sweetie! How are you? How's the tour? Have you made any new friends? What's your favorite place that you've been so far?" Lana's mom questions.

Lana laughs. "Okay, it's going pretty well, I guess that I'm friends with the cast, yeah, and I loved London."

"Oh, I'm so happy for you!" Lana's mom tells her. Lana thanks her.

"Your dad is in our room, laying down. If you want to go see him, you can."

"Okay. I guess I'll go say hi," Lana replies, taking a deep breath. She walks down the hall and knocks on the door to her parents' room. "Daddy?"

No response.

The door creaks as Lana slowly pushes it open. "Daddy, it's me. Lana."

"Go away," he mutters. Lana feels like she's been stabbed. She remembers all of the good times that they had when she was little, but it seems like they've all been thrown out the window.

Lana is six. She is at the swimming pool, and has taken off her floaties for the first time. Her dad stands close by, while she tries to stay afloat in the water. She remembers the motions that he taught her, of the freestyle stroke, but is having a hard time controlling her kicks, arms, and breathing all at the same time. Suddenly, her body is submerged under water. She tries to go back up to the surface, but the water seems to be pulling her down. Really, she is only a few inches under the surface, but to her, it seems like ten feet. Suddenly, without him missing a beat, she feels her dad's strong arms around her, pulling her out of the water. She spits water out of her nose, and gasps for air.

"Daddy, that was scary!" she squeals, with tears forming under her pink goggles.

"Shh, I know pumpkin. It's okay. You can take a break, alright?"

"Okay. Can we go play in the fountains again?"

"Anything for you, sweetie."

Lana sighs. "I love you, Dad."

At that, she leaves the room, and closes the door behind her. "I almost like him better drunk," she thinks, but then shakes the thought out of her head, knowing that it isn't true. Both of the states are terrible.

"I told you it was bad," Olivia whispers to Lana, when she is back in the kitchen with her mom and sister.

"He still won't get help?"