Chapter 112

Soon, Pippa is up to rehearse 'Burn,' which Daveed decided needed to be rehearsed at the very last minute. Nobody knows why, since it was pretty much the only number that wasn't a mess last night, but they are all just playing along.

From the second that Pippa walks onstage, she can feel Daveed's judgemental eyes on her. She tries her best to ignore it, but has a hard time doing so. It is nerve-wracking, and as soon as the music starts, she blanks on the words.

Oh no, Pippa thinks. Daveed is going to KILL me. What do I do? What do I do?

She looks into the audience, and sees Jazzy mouthing something to her.

"I knew you were mine."

Right. She takes a deep breath and her voice begins to ring out throughout the auditorium.

Most of the song goes okay, but not great. Her voice cracks on the second "Do you know what Angelica said," and after that, her voice shakes for a while. She does regain her confidence by the high notes at the end, but Daveed's glare isn't helping matters much.

At the end of the song, she knows that she is going to be yelled at, and braces herself.

The moment of silence is the worst, as soon as the music ends. A few of her cast mates are clapping supportively, but she can barely hear them over the tension hanging in the air.

When she thinks that nothing can be worse than the silence, she is wrong. Daveed begins to speak.

"Okay, Phillipa, WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?"

"I'm sorry," she whimpers, with tears brimming her eyes.

"No, sorry doesn't cut it," he snaps. "That was the worst that I've ever seen this number."

Pippa draws in a sharp breath, trying to keep the tears from spilling over and running down her cheeks.

"You messed up the choreography so badly at the end," he tells her. "When did you start sitting on the bench? You're supposed to sit on the ground."

"What?" Pippa asks. "Daveed, I've done that since Broadway."

"Daveed, she's alone. Why does it matter?" Daveed hears Jazzy's voice from behind him.

"It matters because she's a professional actress, and she needs to start acting like it."

"Phillipa Soo is the most professional person that I know," Jazzy argues. "Plus, it's not like you've been acting very professional ever since Lin left the tour. You're acting like it's all about you, but it's not. You aren't the director here, and you're not the boss. You don't give us our paychecks. Have you ever considered backing off? Just a little bit?"

Daveed is stunned by Jazzy's tone.

"Do you need some ice for that burn?" a voice from somewhere in the back of the auditorium, most likely Anthony, calls.

"Okay, you know what? I'm too tired to fight this. Shape up Phillipa, and we will run this number first thing tomorrow. If it's better, then we won't have to worry about it, but if it isn't, then you have to stay after for extra rehearsal tomorrow."

"Okay," Pippa replies, nodding. "I promise, it will be better."

"Good," Daveed grunts. "Rehearsal dismissed.

The cast heads back to the hotel, and Pippa's mood is lightened a bit by seeing texts from both Lin and Steven.

Lin: How's the tour going? I miss you all.

Pippa: ugh. daveed is crazy, lin. we all miss you too.

Lin: Oh no! What's wrong?

Pippa: Daveed has been yelling at everyone for every little thing. you should have seen him yelling at jazzy today when he found out she hurt her wrist.

Lin: I'll talk to him. Hopefully he lightens up a bit.

Pippa: highly unlikely. he thinks he is you now. save us!

Lin: Haha! I miss you Pips. I'll see what I can do. Love you.

Pippa: you're a lifesaver.

After texting Lin, she reads Steven's text.

Steven: I miss you, baby. I just wanted you to know that I'm thinking of you. I hope that Moscow is ready for you to blow them all away.

Pippa: thanks steve, xx. we actually opened last night and it wasn't the greatest, but tonight should be better. i'll let you know after the show.

Steven doesn't reply right away, so Pippa clicks off her phone and decides to watch Netflix and relax before the show. She really needs it.

~~~~~~~~~~

oh not we forgot to feed the children again