Chapter 31

It was a two-show day, but they had enough time to explore the fortress in the morning. Pippa and Jazzy went with Vanessa and Lin to the fortress while Jessa, Beckett, Brett, and Kaitlyn went to the Sound of Music tour. They would switch after their matinee performance.

Pippa was searching for her white beanie when Jazzy told her it was time to walk to where the fortress was.

They had to board a cable car. Vanessa, who was afraid of heights, was panicking over how high up they were going to be. Even Jazzy and Pippa were a little freaked out about it.

"We're going to die!" Vanessa said frantically. "The cable is going to break and we'll never live to see another day!"

"Calm down, Nessa," Lin said, putting his arm around her. "This cable car's been here a long time. Do you really think it would break now?"

"Who knows? Maybe we're all too fat and out of shape and our combined weight will be too much for this old cable!" Vanessa shrieked.

"Vanessa, none of us are fat," Pippa said.

"Did you see that one man in line ahead of us? He must weigh at least 300 pounds!" Vanessa exclaimed. They were getting on the cable car now.

"Nessa, it's build for this kind of thing. We'll be okay. Just think, we can sing 'In the Heights' now. Or just think about 'My Favorite Things'!" Jazzy reminded Vanessa.

"MY FAVORITE THING WOULD BE TO GET OFF THIS CABLE CAR!" Vanessa shrieked as the cable car started moving.

"VANESSA, STOP SCREAMING," Pippa said. "You're going to blow my eardrums out."

"Let's sing," Jazzy said over the sound of Vanessa hyperventilating. "Let's sing 'Defying Gravity'."

"WE WON'T BE DEFYING GRAVITY WHEN WE PLUMMET TO OUR DEATHS!"

"VANESSA, SHUT UP!" Pippa said unsympathetically. She started to sing. "Something has changed within me. Something is not the same."

"I'm through with playing by the rules of someone else's game," Jazzy continued. "Too late for second guessing, too late to go back to sleep."

"I'M NEVER GOING BACK TO SLEEP AFTER THIS-"

"IT'S TIME TO TRUST MY INSTINCTS, CLOSE MY EYES AND LEAP-" Lin joined in.

"YOUR INSTINCTS ARE CRAP LIN MANUEL-MIRANDA-"

"VANESSA CALM DOWN," Pippa said. "THE RIDE IS OVER. YOU CAN STOP FREAKING OUT."

"Oh? That wasn't so bad," Vanessa said, getting out of the cable car and brushing off her pants.

Lin groaned and Pippa and Jazzy facepalmed.

They walked into the fortress and joined the next tour. The tour guide spoke with a heavy German accent, but Pippa managed to understand the vast majority of it. The fortress was incredible. Pippa loved the entire tour.

The four of them decided to go to the marionette museum. As soon as they walked in, they were met with the sight of magnificent marionettes set up in various scenes around the museum. Pippa hid behind Jazzy almost the entire time.

They kept hearing a weird chuckling noise in the background. Jazzy started to have a guess of what it was coming from. She saw a door with the words 'open' on it and smirked to herself.

"Pippa, I think there's a really cool Sound of Music puppet in there!" she exclaimed. Pippa turned to look where Jazzy was motioning.

"Really?" she asked.

"I saw some guy open it earlier. It's Rolf and Liesl!"

Pippa opened the box and a creepy marionette jumped out at her and started laughing evilly. Pippa yelped like a wounded puppy and hid behind Lin.

"You're so mean, Jazzy," Lin said.

Jazzy was laughing. "I'm sorry, the opportunity was so great and Pippa is addicted to the Sound of Music."

"I hate you, Jazzy," Pippa said. "Lin is my new Schuyler Sister."

"I love you too, Pippa," Jazzy said. She checked her phone. "We'd better go back and get ready for the show."

"Alright," Pippa agreed.

They walked back to the theatre. Pippa, Jazzy, and Lin went backstage to put on makeup and costumes, while Vanessa went to sit in the theatre to wait for the show to start again.

~~~

Happy opening Amelie!