Chapter 109

Opening night had arrived. It was bound to be an adventure, because, let's be honest, opening nights were always sketchy.

The dressing room for the ensemble girls was loud. Mostly because Araella insisted on blasting Tangled, because it was her music pick of the day.

Kaitlyn was understandably triggered, because the album was on shuffle, so many of her solos were playing.

And Carleigh was being Carleigh and was velociraptoring around the room, probably unintentionally. Jessa was trying not to laugh, especially after her conversation with Lana.

"Hey, Carleigh, do you want to date Lana?" Jessa called jokingly. Carleigh froze mid-mascara swipe.

"What the heck?" she demanded. "What even? No? Because I'm not gay???"

"Just wondering," Jessa laughed.

"She's great and all, but no," Carleigh said. "If I were, sure, but like, no. Single pringle life is too great to sacrifice."

"Places in ten minutes!"

Jessa jumped up and grabbed her shoes before bounding out of the door. "See y'all!"

"Y'all," Carleigh muttered under her breath.

Once Jessa got to the stage, she did some warm-up stretches and then decided to visit the Schuyler Sisters in their usual meeting place.

"Hey!" she exclaimed.

"Jessa!" Pippa greeted. "How's it going in ensemble land?"

"It's full of dinosaurs," Jessa said. Pippa blinked.

"What?"

"Oh, nothing, it's just an inside joke," Jessa said hurriedly. Lana smirked.

"The velociraptor is at it again, huh?"

"Well, yes, but then I asked her if she wanted to date you, and she said no," Jessa told Lana.

"What?!" Lana spluttered. "I said I didn't want to date the velociraptor."

"Who is the velociraptor?" Pippa asked confusedly. Jazzy tilted her head to the side, and then started laughing.

"I know who it is."

"Who?!" Pippa demanded.

"You have to figure it out," Jazzy said.

"Places!"

"Well, gotta blast," Jessa said. "Break some legs."

~~~~~~~~~

The show started off fine. Everyone was doing well, no one ran into each other, nothing bad happened. At least for the first half of act one. And then they got to everyone's favorite song, 'Yorktown', which, for some reason, the tour cast always had problems with. Even if it was many of the cast's favorite song.

The first thing that went wrong was that one of the lighting technicians accidentally bumped the light slides. So the lights were suddenly on full blast. Which caused Araella to run into the staircase, and Carleigh to trip over Jessa, and Thayne bumped into Daveed.

The second thing was that then the lighting technician overcompensated and then turned all the lights off, so no one could see. At all.

The ensemble tried to keep going. People were running into each other, Araella was disoriented, Thayne was pretty sure he had a giant bruise on his leg, and Carleigh was fairly certain that she just sprained her ankle from tripping over Jessa.

Things looked up after that. They moved on to act two. Carleigh wrapped her ankle, Araella stepped out to make sure she didn't have a concussion, and Thayne made sure that he didn't have a bruise from Daveed.

Jazzy tripped during 'Say No To This', because someone turned on the turntables too early, or something. Which hurt. Brett helped her up, mouthing 'Are you okay' to her. Jazzy was pretty sure she at least had an injured wrist, but the pain wasn't awful. She could get through the rest of the song. The second act wasn't too in-depth for Maria Reynolds.

At last, they got to their final bows.

Once they all got offstage, people were talking about what had happened. Araella had gone to the doctor to make sure she didn't have a concussion, and Carleigh was studying her ankle.

"Are you okay!?" Pippa asked Jazzy.

"I think... my wrist hurts but it's not horrible. I'm sure it's okay, my fall wasn't as bad as Carleigh's was," Jazzy said.

"You have to get it checked out, I tore a ligament in Amelie and I didn't think it was that bad until I went to the doctor. Carleigh should probably go, too."

"It'll be fine, I'll just wrap it and not use it too much," Jazzy reassured Pippa. "It's not that bad, promise."

"Jazzy, you need to be careful," Pippa warned.

"If it gets worse, I'll go to the doctor, don't worry," Jazzy said.

"Alright... Just go talk to Anthony. Maybe he'll force you to go to the doctor."

Anthony was concerned. He hadn't seen the fall, but he'd heard about it from the other cast members, since he never watched Jazzy as Maria.

"Why didn't Brett catch you?" Anthony asked as he gently turned Jazzy's wrist over in his hands.

"He wasn't close enough, and there's not much he could have done. Honestly, it's not that bad. Injuring a wrist isn't as bad as hurting your leg or something. Plus, it's not like I'm onstage all the time," Jazzy said.

"You have to get it checked out. You could have permanent damage or something," Anthony said worriedly. "Let me take you to the doctor."

"Not now, it's okay for one night. We'll see if it gets better, and then we'll deal with it, okay?" Jazzy said.

"Alright, tomorrow."

~~~~~~~~~

whoops i forgot to feed you children for THREE WHOLE DAYS i'm surprised you didn't starve