Chapter 22

When Kaitlyn gets back to the theater, she finds Brett already there and waiting.
"Hey," she says.
"Hey."
"How are you doing?"
"Alright. It's hard," he admits to her.
"I know. Was it..." Kaitlyn fiddles for the right word, "an unexpected death?"
"Yeah. That makes it even worse."
"Aw, I'm so sorry," Kaitlyn says, opening her arms for a hug, which Brett graciously accepts.
After they pull apart, Brett says that he is ready to get started.
"Alright. What do you need to work on?"
"Well, have any changes been made since I left?" Brett asks.
"No, I don't think so," Kaitlyn replies.
"Alright. Can we maybe run our 'Helpless' choreography first?" he asks.
"Of course," Kaitlyn replies. She throws on her character shoes, and then the two climb up onto the stage.
She pulls the remote to control her speakers out of her pocket, and presses play on the song.
The two start to dance.
In that moment, it seems as if they're the only two people in the world. He is holding her in his arms, and she is simply trying not to blush every time that their hands touch.
That song finishes, and the spell is broken. A quick decision is made that they can transition straight into 'Satisfied' for practice.
After that is finished, they decide to run 'My Shot,' 'Yorktown,' and 'Non-Stop.'
"Can we take a break?" Brett asks, after they're done.
"I was just about to suggest that," Kaitlyn laughs.
They head off of the stage and sit down in the plush seats in the auditorium.
"Hey, can I talk to you about something?" Kaitlyn asks.
"Oh, sure," Brett says.

"Well, I was wondering what's been with Lana recently. I mean, she's been really attached to you at the hip. Are you two dating?" Kaitlyn asks.
"Oh! No! I like.." Brett pauses, "someone else."
"Oh."
"She's been a little bit annoying to be completely honest," Brett admits. "That's so sweet of you to notice."
Kaitlyn blushes.
"I like to keep tabs on my Schuyler sisters," Kaitlyn tells him. Her voice gets quieter. "Do you... Do you think she likes you?"
"I think that doesn't matter because I like y-" Brett cuts himself off, "someone else. I like someone else."
Kaitlyn's heart nearly skips a beat. Did he just say what she thinks?
"Brett? Did you just almost say that you like me?" she asks, quietly. She half hopes that he doesn't hear her. She's not sure if she's ready for this yet. She's never done this before.
As soon as Brett blushes a light pink shade, she realizes that he heard her.
"Yes," he mumbles. "I- I understand that you don't feel the same way, but I think that you're the most amazing girl. You're gorgeous, nice, and well, just so freaking talented. Every time I'm around you, I get these butterflies in my stomach, and..."
"Brett, it's okay. I- I like you too," Kaitlyn tells him, staring at her feet, unable to make direct eye contact.
"Really?" he asks, surprised.
"Yeah," she admits.
"Wow," Brett whispers.
They are sitting in silence, both of them unsure of what to say next, when they notice someone walk onstage.
"Lana? What the heck are you still doing here? It's like 12:30 in the morning!" Kaitlyn says, standing up from her seat.
"I mean, I could ask you the same thing," Lana snaps back.
Fair enough.
"Is Brett here?"
"Yeah," Kaitlyn mumbles.
"Awesome! I thought that I might find him here. I'll be down in just a second."
Lana jumps off of the stage, and the closer that she gets, the clearer that they can see that she's holding one of those heart-shaped chocolate boxes in her arms.
"Valentine's Day was months ago," Brett whispers to Kaitlyn. "What the heck is she doing?"
"I just wanted to say that I'm so sorry about your mom. I'll hope you will accept my condolences," she says, handing him the box.
Taken aback, Brett takes the box from him.
"Also, I was wondering if you wanted to go out for coffee or something sometime? My treat," she says.
Brett doesn't know how to respond. He really does like Kaitlyn, but at the same time, he is scared to say no.
"Oh. Um, yes," he says. "That sounds wonderful."
Kaitlyn can't believe what she's hearing. It was just five minutes ago that they were both confessing that they liked each other, and now, here they are. Tears begin to well up in her eyes.
"Awesome! Does tomorrow at nine work?"
"Sure," Brett says.
"Great! I'll see you then!" Kaitlyn says. She blows a kiss at him, and walks away.
The two watch her figure recede into the distance.
"Can we run 'The Reynolds Pamphlet' now?" Brett asks, turning to Kaitlyn.
She doesn't know how to respond.
"Are you kidding me right now?" she asks.
Brett looks confused.
Kaitlyn can't believe that he's so clueless. She turns and runs away.
She runs and runs, all the way back to the hotel. It's a good mile, but she doesn't even realize. Her mind won't think about anything except Brett.
Once Kaitlyn is back in the hotel, she knows that she can't go back into her own room, which she shares with Lana.
Tears still spilling down her cheeks, she instead goes to the one place where she truly feels safe. With her sisters.
Jazzy and Pippa are lying on their beds, watching a movie, when they hear a knock on the door.
"What the heck? It's like 1:00 in the morning," Jazzy says.
"Go see who it is," Pippa tells her.
Jazzy gets up and opens the door, where the two girls see Kaitlyn standing in the hallway, crying.
"Oh my gosh, Kait!" Jazzy says. "Come in."
"What's wrong?" Pippa asks, climbing out of bed and giving Kaitlyn a hug.

~~~~

A/N:

Wish @abbydancesx luck on her Sound of Music performance tonight! And Kaitlyn didn't get kidnapped :) Are you all relieved? 

On another note I hate people who don't care about concert band (cough, the rest of my section).

~darkdisrepair