Chapter 129

The show the next day went well, at least the first act. The harmonies were tight, the choreography was turning out well, there weren't any tech failures. Everyone was focused. Pippa could tell that the addition of Daniel had been a good choice. He was considerate, respectful, and undeniably talented. His relationship with Carleigh was leaps beyond what James' relationship with Carleigh had been, mostly because Daniel and Carleigh were dating.

It was cute, really. Pippa knew Carleigh had enjoyed the 'single pringle' life, but she noticed that her friend also seemed a lot happier. Less lonely.

The second act started off well- 'What'd I Miss' was hilarious, as usual.

Then, the announcements went off mid-show backstage. It wasn't on the 'God mic', though, so the audience didn't hear it.

"Attention, all cast members, we have gotten word that Vanessa has gone into labor and is at the hospital. We ask that you keep doing the show with your usual focus and drive, and we will talk to them once the show is over. We'll keep you updated if anything dramatic happens."

Pippa almost screamed out loud backstage, but Jazzy clapped a hand over Pippa's mouth before she could make any noise.

"Vanessa's having the baby!" Pippa whisper-screamed.

"I know!!" Jazzy replied, her eyes sparkling.

The cast resumed with renewed energy. Knowing that Vanessa was having the baby definitely made everyone a little jittery, and not necessarily in a good way. Even tech seemed a little too excited about the announcement.

There were more mistakes in the second act, but there was a lot of bouncing around and a lot of silent screaming going on. Someone in the lighting booth got too enthusiastic about the lighting level for 'The Adams Administration' and nearly blinded half the ensemble when the overhead lights went on.

Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, the show was over. Instead of going to the dressing rooms to change, the cast and crew gathered onstage to hear what news there was about the baby.

"I got another text from Lin," Daveed announced. "She's been in labor for about three hours now, and he says it looks like it will take a while. He says we should go home, and not wait up."

"Of course we're going to wait up," Jazzy snorted. "Everyone should change and gather up some blankets. It's sleepover time."

"Can Steven join us?" Pippa asked.

"Of course," Daveed said.

Pippa, Jazzy, and Lana ran back to the dressing room to change, while Steven went to the hotel to get fluffy blankets, pillows, and snacks.

They returned to the stage about fifteen minutes later. Most of the cast hadn't come back yet, but it appeared that the ensemble guys had stake out spots under the second level, and the girls had claimed the general area around the turn tables.

Pippa plopped her stuff down near Araella. Jazzy settled in with Anthony beside her, and somehow Lana ended up near Jessa. Carleigh slid in five minutes later wearing fluffy reindeer socks and carrying a pillow pet.

"Did I miss anything?" Carleigh asked.

"No, nothing."

Everyone stayed awake for at least two more hours, and then people started to slowly drift off. Carleigh had fallen asleep with her head resting on Daniel's stomach, and Jessa was curled up in a little ball under her 'Game of Thrones' blanket.

"Anything?" Pippa whispered to Jazzy, who shook her head. Steven rolled over in his sleep and pulled Pippa closer to him.

"Who's still awake?" Jazzy asked.

"Um, not many people. Everyone was pretty tired."

Pippa tried to keep her eyes open for a few more hours, but quickly found herself lulled by Steven's soft breathing. It was too cozy, burrowed under a bunch of blankets.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

She woke up awhile later, but she couldn't tell what time it was. The theatre was moderately dark- someone must have dimmed the lights. She could see the occasional glow of someone's phone as they checked the time, and the lights they used to navigate during the show were still on.

Pippa glanced around. Jazzy and Anthony were asleep, but Carleigh was awake, judging by the dim light of her phone.

Pippa: anything happen?"

Carleigh: no, i woke up because i have a really bad migraine for some reason. daveed hasn't said anything about lin and vanessa

Pippa: i'm sorry about your headache. you should try to go back to sleep

Carleigh: it's okay, i think i'm just tired and dehydrated

Pippa sighed. It was about three in the morning. They'd been waiting for over five hours. She wasn't surprised- labor took a long time.

She decided to scroll through Instagram for a while- she was too excited about the baby to try and go back to sleep now.

The fans didn't know about Vanessa and Lin, which was probably a good thing. Pippa wouldn't have liked fans spamming her if she were in labor.

Occasionally, she glanced up to see if anyone else had woken up. Daveed and Oak were sitting by a light, playing Uno, and Thayne was probably Snapchatting on his phone. She saw Carleigh get up after about a half-hour and walk around the theatre.

When Carleigh sat down again, Pippa texted her.

Pippa: feeling better?

Carleigh: no

Pippa: do you want me to get you something?

Carleigh's typing icon had just popped up when Pippa heard a huge gasp from Daveed.

"WAKE UP PEOPLE!"

There was a lot of scrambling, and then someone flipped on the lights.

"HERE'S WHAT LIN SAYS."

"BABY MIRANDA WAS BORN AT 4:37 IN THE MORNING, FEBRUARY 16, 2017, WEIGHING 8 POUNDS, 4 OUNCES. HER NAME IS AVERIE CHRISTINE!" Daveed shouted.

The theatre immediately filled with shouts, tears, and screaming. Steven swept Pippa up in a huge hug, and then everyone gathered for a group hug.

Someone decided to throw a stack of Playbills off the balcony, which made a somewhat confetti-like appearance. People were filming the mass chaos that ensued.

"How's Vanessa?!" someone called.

"Lin says mother is doing fine, Sebastian is watching Chuggington, and Averie is sleeping right now," Daveed announced.

Everyone stayed on the stage for at least another half-hour, talking, laughing, and crying. Someone brought in a random cake that they had.

After a while, Daveed called them to order.

"We'll send Lin our congratulations after we've all gotten some sleep. I think you all need to go back to the hotel and get some rest, we have shows tomorrow and I don't want there to be injuries or mistakes or something because you're too tired. We can talk to Lin in the morning, I'm sure he's tired, too."

Pippa gathered up her stuff with Steven. Some of the cast members, including Carleigh, had already gone.

"That's amazing that she was born," Pippa said as they headed back to the hotel.

"Averie Christine is such a beautiful name. I'm glad it wasn't something awful... like... Cheesewhizzle Shnerk," Steven commented.

"What even?!"

"I'm tired, I'm sorry, I'll stop talking now."

"You'd better. You need to go to sleep."

~~~~~~~~~~~

;)