Image (StevexTony)

AN: I know, it's been years. I know, I have no ideas, please give me prompts.

Summary: Steve Rogers must keep his partner Tony Stark alive whilst help is on the way.

Third Person's POV

Rogers tightened the cloth around the wound by Stark's ribs. He had tried his best to stop the injury from bleeding but he feared the other man already lost too much. They were on a mission, somehow an object had pierced through Stark's armour and through his skin. They were in a safe place now, away from the enemy.

Tony watched as the Captain frantically tried his best to sustain the wound. He had never seen Rogers quite like this, distressed. Stark had always been used to the man being powerful and completely under control. That image of him had now melded away.

The engineer's saw Roger's hands shake. He hated this, he hated seeing the blonde so anxious. The look didn't suit him, so Stark did what he did best and attempted to make the other man smile.

"It's not as bad as it seems." Stark muttered as he coughed harshly, he regretted the decision of opening his mouth. "I had a shrapnel in my heart...this, is very mediocre."

"I just need you to stay awake until help comes." Rogers stated as he ignored Stark's attempts to joke. "Understand me?" Tony just nodded as he held onto the other man's hand. The soldier's eyes fluttered, he knew Stark didn't have much time. He only prayed that help would come on time.

"You don't have to bark orders at me when I'm on the brink of death." The engineer mumbled, his eyes felt heavy. Just as he was about to shut them he heard the other man cry. Stark frowned as he watched his partner fall to tears. "Steve..."

"Just stay with me, I'd never stop blaming myself if you died." Rogers pleaded as he gripped Stark's hand. Tony had no energy to stay awake but he did what he could, he didn't want his last memories of Steve to be sorrowful.

"Do you remember that one time I got really drunk." Stark decided to distract himself with stories. "Then I just hit on you as if we weren't dating?" Rogers scoffed and sniffled softly.

"You had the worst hangover I had ever seen on anybody." Steve knew that the man was trying to change the topic.

"I just can't seem to stop drinking."

"I'm surprised your liver hasn't given up on you."

Tony managed a small smile, each breath grew harder and harder. He had that god-awful taste of metal in his mouth, all he wanted right now was a drink.

"You know I hate seeing you cry, right?" Tony muttered, Steve frowned and stroked the back of the other man's hand with his thumb. "Crying is stupid and it looks worse on you. You're Captain fucking America."

Rogers smiled, he had no idea what Stark was going on about but listened anyway.

"I know I'm the one dying but I'm more worried about you." Tony continued, Rogers continued to frown. "I've never seen you cry but I hate it."

"My best friend is dying, of course I'm going to cry." Rogers smiled bitterly, Stark shut his eyes momentarily.

"I'm not worth crying over." Stark stated, he almost sounded frustrated. "Don't waste your energy on me-"

"Just shut up." The soldier snapped, Tony frowned. "For once stop self-depreciating yourself. Your one of the most selfless people I know...just for once, I want you to worry about you."

There was no response

[9 HOURS LATER]

"Stop worrying, Bruce says he's stable." Romanoff reassured as she rubbed Roger's arm. "Without you Tony would have been a treasured memory."

"This all could have been avoided if I just-"

"It's not your fault." She stated as she jabbed his chest with her index finger. "Don't blame yourself over this. Tony would not want that in the slightest." Rogers bowed his head but managed a nod.

"Banner said he's unsure of when Tony's going to wake up." The soldier huffed and rubbed the nape of his neck. To his surprise Romanoff hugged him, he shut his eyes and hugged her back as he appreciated the gesture.

"Get some rest Steve, you deserve it."

[5 HOURS LATER]

Steve Rogers stepped into the room as he finally decided to visit his partner. To his astonishment there was already somebody there. The other person seemed to notice him but that didn't stop them from talking.

"Anyway...that's what happened. I don't even know if you can hear me but I thought I might as well say." Clint Barton muttered and ran his hand through his hair. "I'll leave you alone now, someone else is here for you." He finished and walked towards the exit. He stopped briefly by Rogers. "You alright?"

"Y-yeah." Steve responded, Clint clasped his shoulder as he reassured the other man. "What were you talking about?"

"SHIELD matters that somehow correlates to his company." Barton smiled, "I'm sure you'll hear him complain about it when he wakes up. See you later Rogers." With that the archer left the room. Rogers walked towards the hospital bed and sat down.

He watched as Stark continued to sleep. He looked peaceful and relaxed, it was enough to soothe Rogers.

"It's good that you pulled through." He started to talk, he didn't care if Stark could hear or not. "You scared me quite a lot."

He paused.

"I'm not sure what else to say really. I just hope you wake up and recover soon, I'm going to miss you a lot if you don't." He smiled sadly as he continued to watch the other man sleep. It was refreshing to see the other man so relaxed. Stark always had something to do, always busy. "But when you wake up, I want you to take things easy alright? Find some time to yourself because that's probably what you need most after you wake up."