124- fridays

small context, hiccup owns a pizza takeout shop thingy, and he has a daughter (celise) who is 5.

hiccup is 25, south is 24

south's p.o.v

i'm starving. i walk around the little shopping stretch near my house, soon coming across a quaint little pizza shop. i decide to head in. the door chimes when i open it. the desk is currently empty, so i sit down on a bench to wait. a little girl wanders out from behind the desk, clutching some hot wheels cars and tracks. i smile at her. she's a very pretty little girl, with bright green eyes and auburn hair. she starts to set up a track, before looking over at me.

"hello!" she says cheerfully.

"hello little miss. are you playing with your cars?"

"yeah!" she pushes one along the track, but it doesn't go very fast. she pouts at it.

"...it isn't very fast" i smile and look atop the desk.

"hey, look here" i pick up one side of the track and use what looks like a tiny little vice to attatch it to the desk, and it runs down to the floor. i place the car at the top and sure enough, it whizzes down. she cheers, and i go back to my seat. a man comes out from the back. he is the splitting image of the girl.

"are you bullying my customers, celise?" he chuckles.

"no! the nice lady helped with my car" she points at it.

"haha, she sure did. anywho, sorry for the wait. are you collecting or ordering?"

"um, ordering" he nods and grabs a notepad. i make my little order and he walks to the back. i entertain the little girl for about 10 minutes before he comes back with the food.

"hey, is she yours?" i ask. he nods.

"yep. her name is celise."

"she's absolutely charming. and beautiful"

"i know, right? here you are. that is..." he checks his notepad.

"£9.92" i hand him a ten pound note and he gives me some change. i thank him and head out of the shop.

every friday for the next few months, i always go into the little pizza place. i've learned alot about them. the mans name is hiccup, and he's 25. celise is 5, and i learn her mother passed away two years ago.

the familiar little bell chimes as i walk into the door on my usual friday night. hiccup is at the desk, counting change or something. he's frowning, which is unusual because he is like, the most positive person ever

"oh uh, hey south. i'll be there in a sec" he says, his voice a little distant. i lean on the desk.

"what's up?"

"the counts are wrong. i think someone's been putting their hand in the till" i start frowning, too.

"how many people work here?"

"it's me, fishlegs, my cousin snotlout and the twins. the twins are extremely rich, and fishlegs would never, ever do that. snotlout..." he sighs.

"why don't you put a little camera somewhere and catch him out" he nods.

"yeah, good idea. it sucks because me and astrid opened this place together not long after celise was born, and for all her work to be disrespected like that..." i place my hand on his shoulder.

"it'll be okay." he gives me a wan smile.

"yeah... anyway, your order is ready, so i'll go and fetch it" he jogs to the back, and celise comes out.