8 Contemplating his idea

It has been a week since Prem was back in his life as a university student.

Truth be told, ever since the first day of the university, the number of days Prem had attended classes could be counted by fingers. As a talented athlete, the university had made exceptions for him. He only had to attend the exams without fail. It mainly seemed like distance education.

Sammy had helped Prem collect the notes for all his subjects from seniors and fellow students. The university management also had approved Prem taking leave for post-surgical care. They didn't want to take responsibility if Prem failed to recover properly.

Basically, Prem didn't have to attend the classes. But Prem still decided to attend each and every one of them without fail. He felt that if he did not, he would go crazy being couped up in his new room.

Prem was never a studious one. He was the kind who made sure to study just enough to pass the exam.

Prem's life had always round around sports. Especially tennis. As the son of a sports teacher, he started his interest in sports at a very young age. His talent was discovered by his parents who had supported him through his journey as an athlete.

"Ai Prem, wake up, the class is over." Sammy shook her sleeping best friend.

Prem woke up and stretched himself.

Prem was still not used to attending lectures. He wanted to listen to the seriously and take notes himself but he found it extremely difficult to keep his eyes open just a few minutes into the lecture. It was the same for all the students. Other than a few students who sat on the front bench, the rest of the class never listened to the lecture. They will be chatting, playing games or simply sleeping.

Rubbing his eyes Prem packed his things and followed Sammy and her group outside.

Sammy and her friends were talking about some newly released cosmetics and an uninterest Prem tagged along with them.

"Prem, this is today's notes." Rin, one of Sammy's friends handed a notebook to him.

"Thanks, Rin. I will return it after copying." Prem smiled flipping through the well-written notes.

"Ai Prem, have you found a place to do your internship? Our internships are starting next week." Sine asked hooking his hands around Prem's shoulder.

Even though Prem had not attended classes, he still had many friends at the university. Sine was one of them.

"Yes, I did find one. Mine is also starting next week."

"You found one even at the last moment? We had to apply for a position months ago to get one and you got it so fast?" Rin asked with a shocked expression.

Prem smiled at her reaction.

"What is the name of the firm you are going to intern at?" Sine asked curiously.

"N&P"

"N&P? Never heard of such a firm. Are you sure that such a firm exists?"

"You guys might not have heard of it because it is not an accounting firm, but an international sportswear brand that originated in Thailand."

"You are interning at a sportswear brand company?" Rin was surprised.

"Yes. I had worked with them several times in the past. The owner of the brand is my friend. He offered me a place when he heard that I was looking for one. Since I couldn't find another one, I shamelessly accepted it." Prem shrugged.

"This is what we call 'Nepotism'. Using the back door to find a place while others are struggling to find one." Sine lamented.

Prem smiled and shook his head.

"Prem, are you sure that doing an internship will be enough? Because they may not be helpful for our career." Rin said with concern.

"Actually, I am underqualified to join the firm. I heard that most employees working there are graduates of top universities like Harvard. Even their basic pay is quite high. I wonder how much I would get paid." Prem scratched his chin thoughtfully.

"Really? If what you said is true then, I would intern there even if I don't get paid. I could use their help to gain more experience." Rin clamped her hands in excitement.

"I thought so too. Also, they are an international brand. So, we get to do international market scenarios closely."

"You are so lucky Prem," Rin said enviously.

"What are you guys talking about?" Sammy asked as she joined the group.

"We were just talking about our internships"

The four bid goodbye to each other and split up.

"Prem, have you started working on your thesis? Once we start our internships, we won't be having any time to do so." Sammy asked as she entered Prem's condo.

"I did my trial presentation and got it approved from Achaan last week itself," Prem said as he arranged his shoes on the shoe rack.

"That's a surprise."

"I have already collected enough reference materials and have made an outline of the thesis."

"Oh, my God. Did the sun rise in the west? Is the world going to end? You did your thesis work yourself without being pushed by someone. Prem, are you alright? Are you running a fever?" Sammy asked as she checked his body temperature with her hand.

Prem slapped away Sammy's hand.

"I hardly get sleep at night nowadays. I thought I might as well use the time fruitfully." Prem said rolling his eyes at his overdramatic bestie.

"You are not getting any sleep at night because you sleep the whole day in class."

"Sammy, I used to sleep in the class ever since we were kids. That has never affected my night sleep. I think a lot nowadays. About the future and stuff. I don't know what I am going to do after graduation." Prem sighed.

"Hey, Prem, why are you being so serious all of a sudden? Did something happen?" Sammy felt perturbed as she heard Prem.

"What else is there to happen?" Prem raised his right arm which was still covered in a splint.

"Oh, this is what you are worried about." Sammy heaved a sigh of relief. "I have already talked with the doctor. You might need time but your hand is definitely recovering. Don't worry."

"What if it recovers but I am still unable to play? Didn't you hear the doctor say that there are chances that I might never be able to play as well as I used to before the surgery?"

Sammy remained silent. She knew where Prem was getting at. This was also the reason why she had been sticking around Prem nowadays. She was afraid that this incident would affect him mentally and may even lead to disturbing things like depression.

"Prem, do you remember that you said you wanted to start your own sports centre and sports club when we were in high school? The one where you could train athletes from a young age or something. How about we do it? I think that is a good idea." Sammy tried to redirect Prem's thought process.

She was successful on her first try itself.

Prem was already contemplating the execution of the idea.