29. Convocation

“P’ Prem, smile wider.” Pat said throwing his hands over Prem’s shoulders posing for a photo while Chris was being the photographer.

Prem, clad in the black graduation gown with green shawl indicating economics faculty, posed with a smile that didn’t reach his eyes with his ex-teammates. He could see his parents interacting with his friends not far from him. They had flown all the way from Chiang Mai to Bangkok to attend his convocation ceremony.

A lot of people he was familiar with came to the university to congratulate him including his ex-teammates, Benz, Tae and the rest of the football gang. But that on person he wanted to attend today’s ceremony was nowhere to be seen.

More like he didn’t let the person know about the ceremony at all after hearing that the latter won’t be back for another few days.

Prem had taken tons of photos both individually and with his friends and family. He was exhausted. He couldn’t wait to go back to his condo.

A loud scream from the side interrupted his train of thoughts. It was not the first time he was hearing such screams today. As a university that had many celebrity students it was only normal to hear such screams and shout. Hence, Prem didn’t bother to pay any attention to it.

Prem was startled when a huge bouquet of flowers appeared in front of him. He looked up at the person holding the flowers in surprised.

Seeing the familiar face in front of him a genuine smile bloomed on Prem’s face.

“Hia.”

“Congratulations on your graduation N’ Pao.” Boun ruffled Prem’s hair after they hugged.

Prem was extremely happy to receive the bouquet, and happier because of Boun’s presence.

Boun too was all smiles as he watched Prem grinning admiring the flower bouquet, he had arranged himself. He had carefully chosen each flower used in it and made the bouquet with utmost care.

“Didn’t you say that you won’t be back for another three days?” Prem finally asked turning his attention from the bouquet to the man who bought it for him.

“I didn’t tell you because I wanted to surprise you today.” Boun smiled. The truth was that he was completely clueless that Prem’s convocation day was near. Luckily, Bosston told him about his girlfriend’s graduation day, reminding Boun of his little one.

Boun had to use his contacts to find the exact date than asking Prem to surprise the latter.

Boun’s reply made Prem blush for no reason.

“Prem, who is this?” Prem heard his father’s voice and turned around.

“Swadee Khrab Lung, Khun Pa.” Boun greeted the elders. He guessed that the couple were Prem’s parents.

“Swadee.” The couple greeted back awkwardly before looking at their son for an introduction.

“Mae, this is…” Prem didn’t know what to introduce Boun as. His crush? A co worker? Boss? Friend? Elder brother? None of the options seemed to fit.

“Wait. Let me guess.” Jassy observed Boun carefully. “You must be Boun, right?”

“Khrab, Khun Pa.” Boun was delighted see that Prem’s mother knew of him.
“You just call us Phor-Mae. No need to be formal. All his friends call us like that.” Jassy patted Boun on his shoulders.

“Khrab Mae.” Boun nodded politely.

“Mae, how did you recognize him?” Prem asked.

“I guessed. You video call him almost every day and I got a glimpse of his face the other day while you were talking to him in the living room. I just didn’t know his name. Today when I met Benz and his friends, he told me that the one who was missing was him.” Jassy smiled smugly.

Prem was a little embarrassed hearing that his parents had caught him. Good thing that his parents weren’t the kind of people who eavesdrop into his conversations or else he would have been homeless by now.

Boun rubbed the tip of his nose with his fingers trying to control his laughter seeing Prem’s reaction.

Prem secretly glared at Boun for laughing at him.

“By the way, was it you who tutored Prem during the study leave.” Richard, Prem’s father finally asked.

“Khrab. I did help him revise.” Boun said humbly.

Jassy suddenly grabbed Boun’s both hands and spoke “Thank you so much, luk. If not for your help our stupid luk won’t have passed the exam.”

“Mae…” Prem called out feeling embarrassed. He wanted to bore a hole on the ground and bury himself at the moment.

Boun and Prem’s parents started conversing with each other happily leaving Prem really surprised.

Prem was more shocked by the fact that how close Boun had gotten with his father who always found issues with his friends. He also realized that Boun was an expert when it came to handling people. His conversation and approach to each topic in the conversation was so smooth that Prem started doubting his own emotional intelligence.

Jassy made Prem and Boun stand together for a photo. The duo also took photos with Prem’s parents.

After chatting for a while, Jassy asked Boun “Luk, are you free for the rest of the day?”

“Khrab Mae.” Boun smiled at the lady. He was in a good mood. He hadn’t expected Prem’s parents to be so friendly and considerate to him. He wondered what their reaction will be if they know that he was sleeping with their only son all this while.

“It’s actually nothing. We, I mean me, Phor and Prem were planning to go for a small dinner party to celebrate Prem’s graduation. Would you like to join us? Only if you don’t have anything else scheduled. Benz already told me that you are quite busy.” Jassy said with an awkward smile.

“Of course, Mae. I am totally free today. I would love to join you guys.” Boun smiled back. Initially he was supposed to have a photoshoot today but was postponed because Bosston wanted to take a leave for some personal reason and the latter didn’t trust him enough to let him go alone to work.

“Good. Good.” Jassy was pleased by Boun’s answer.

Prem and Boun excused themselves from their parents and headed to meet their friends.

Prem introduced Boun to Sine and Rin who were in complete fanboy-fangirl mode, showering Boun with praises. They repeatedly thanked him for the notes and kept telling him how difficult the exam would have been if not for the notes he prepared for them. Boun smiled and nodded happily accepting the praises.

Prem rolled his eyes at his friends’ antics and Boun’s shamelessness. Nobody thanked him for sharing the notes. Now they met Boun, their attitudes have taken a one eighty-degree turn.

Boun noticed that Prem was sulking and nudged him.

Leaving behind his crazy friends, Prem took Boun to the football gang. He was called out by his ex-teammates from national team and left the group by himself.

Boun who was left behind was teased by the rest of the group when the former told them that he was going to join Prem’s family for dinner.