35. Selection

Prem was standing in the aisle of the huge stadium noting down the performance of the players on the court. His eyes were sharp as an eagle as he observed each player’s moves.

He was attending the National Under Eighteen Tennis competition to recruit new members to the National team that was badly in need of fresh blood.

Being there sent him on a nostalgic trip. He had been there like those players a few years ago as a high school student-athlete, fighting for his chance to be a part of the National Team on the court. Luck was on his side and got selected into the National Team without a hitch after he won the championship along with a stipend. His entry to the National team was at the age of sixteen and he still had a year to go till he finished high school. As a selected member, he got a golden pass to enter any university under a sports scholarship. His life had taken a turn from this very court.

“Prem, have you found anyone interesting?” Damon, the head coach of the National Team asked.

“Not really coach. There are a few players with potential but none of them is meeting our requirements. Their performances are not up to standards.” Prem sighed.

“Indeed. These young players lack motivation.” Damon agreed.

“I have shortlisted a few of them. Their performances are the best among the players but they still have a lot of room to improve. If they are given proper coaching, they will be an asset to our team, coach.” Prem showed the list of candidates.

Damon glanced at the list and chuckled.
“Prem, we are not just any team. Our team represents the whole nation. We only welcome talented players to our team. We do not have the time to coach players from the scratch. So, don’t be soft-hearted to those kids.” Damon said observing the ongoing game.

“Khrab Coach. I understand.” Prem felt a little ashamed after being reprimanded by the coach.

“I know you are concerned about not having any new members in the team as a large number of our members will be retiring soon. But we can’t pick substandard players for the national team.” Damon cast a glance at Prem.

“Khrab.”

“Let’s do one thing. Among the candidates you listed, let us select the ones that manage to reach the semifinals. Take the top five of them and train them yourself. I will give you a time period of two months. If they are able to meet our team’s requirements after that, they can officially join the team. Of course, they will have to undergo my assessment before that.”

Prem’s face lit up hearing Damon’s words. “Khrab coach. I will make them qualify for the test.”

“I believe in you.” Damon patted Prem's shoulders.

Prem has always been one of his favourite students. Be it his talent, dedication, willpower or hard work, Prem had always met his standards. Despite being so good at his games, Prem had always kept a low profile, not letting arrogance take over him. He was ready to work hard and improve his skills even if they were top-notch among all the members of the team without any complaints.

Damon hoped that other members could be like Prem. But unfortunately, that was not possible.

“But you have to remember that this is extra work. You cannot neglect our players and their coach because of this. The Asian games are approaching. They need to undergo strict training.” Damon said sternly.

“Khrab. I will take care of everything.” Prem said with a smile before bidding goodbye to the middle-aged man and heading to the court.

Prem was happy to get the extra work. Not that he is a workaholic or is eager to prove himself. But because he didn’t want to have free time.

It had only been around two weeks since he joined the national team as the temporary assistant coach following the real assistant coach, Bill had a major car accident and was admitted to hospital.

Prem was urgently searching for a job after his father got hospitalized. Before the convocation day, he had utilized all his savings to buy a building in Bangkok to start his own coaching centre. He was dirt poor after that. His father’s hospitalization was a major hit to him. The money he had kept aside for the renovation purpose of the building was spent in the hospital.

More money would be needed to take care of his father than before and he was jobless then. He couldn’t even hire a house help to take care of his parents. The helpless situation almost drove him crazy. That was when he got a call from Damon asking him to substitute for Bill for a few months and train the team players for the upcoming competitions.

Prem was over the moon upon receiving the call. He agreed without delay. The pay wasn’t bad. And above all this would keep them occupied, preventing him from thinking about something he did not wish to think about- his memories with Boun.

After leaving Phuket, he left everything that belonged to Boun in a cardboard box that he kept in the store room. The things they bought together when they were living together, the souvenirs from Phuket etc. had been kept away from his reach.

Prem also changed his number and blocked Boun on all social media ensuring that he would never be contacted again by the elder who broke his heart.

He decided to concentrate all his energy on being the best assistant coach and gaining experience as one before he began to run his own coaching centre.
He packed his bag on the same day his father was discharged from the hospital and brought back home. His mother had insisted that she could handle everything herself, assuring him to leave without worrying about them.

Once Prem was back in the national team’s coaching centre, he was welcomed with open arms by his ex-teammates. They were really happy to have him back. But the happiness didn’t last long as Prem started implementing his devilish training methods on them.
Some of them complained in the beginning. But with Damon supporting his plans and methods, all the team members had to follow his orders.

Each of the members would be dead tired at the end of the training sessions especially the female players of the team. He had never gone soft on them and given them the same treatment as he would give the other players, unlike Bill, who had a soft spot for the women.

The female members had improved drastically under Prem’s coaching much to Damon’s joy. Having received approval from the head coach the female member’s resentment towards Prem lessened and they followed Prem’s training without many complaints.