22. Home

Prem could literally see the smoke coming out of his head as he stared at the books in front of him

His final exams were going to start in a few days and he had no idea what the syllabus was. As a typical backbencher, it was normal for him.

His mother was being a pain in the neck pressuring him to get better grades.

Prem groaned in annoyance as he heard someone ring the doorbell. He scratched the back of his head and walked to the door. Peeping through the peephole, he saw no one. He tsked and turned around only to hear the continuous ringing of the doorbell.

“WHO THE HELL IS IT?” Prem lost his temper as he opened the door.

His anger froze when he saw the person standing at his doorstep.

“Hia.”

Boun was leaning against the wall, looking extremely worn out. He turned to look at Prem when he heard the latter call him out. He stepped forward and hugged Prem, leaning his body weight on the younger.

“Hia, how come you are here? How did you know my address?” Prem asked supporting Boun.

“Did you forget that I was your boss?” Boun stole a sniff kiss on Prem’s cheek before entering the condo.

“Why are you here today?” Prem asked looking at Boun who was removing his shoes.

“Can’t I come to see you without a specific reason?” Boun asked looking around the condo.

Prem stared at Boun for a few minutes and said “Make yourself at home.”
Prem headed to the kitchen to get something to drink.

By the time he returned, he saw Boun laying on his bed fast asleep.

“Just how tired were you to fall asleep as soon as you hit the pillow?” Prem muttered. Placing the glass of water on the table, Prem tucked Boun into the duvet and adjusted the air conditioner’s temperature so that the latter could sleep comfortably.

A few hours later, Boun woke up groggily to the smell of homecooked food.

He rubbed his eyes and looked around. He saw Prem wearing an apron over his sleeveless vest and shorts, busy cooking something in the kitchen.

Boun suddenly felt the warmth of having a home and smiled as he made a cocoon out of the duvet and continued watching Prem from the bed.

Prem noticed the movements behind him and turned around. His eyes met with Boun’s who suddenly closed his eyes trying to act as if he was still asleep.

Turning down the flame, Prem walked to the bed. “I saw that.” He patted the human-sized cocoon. “Hia get up. I know you are awake.”

Boun peeked out of the duvet and shook his head in denial.

“Come on. Hia. Get up. The food will turn cold.” Prem said.

Boun groaned.

“Up. Up. Get up.” Prem continued shaking Boun.

Boun swiftly took his right hand out of the cocoon and pulled Prem into his arms, nuzzling the latter.

“Hia. What are you doing?” Prem blushed a little.

“Let’s sleep together.” Boun wrapped around Prem.

“No. let me go. The food will get burnt.” Prem wiggled out of Boun’s grip.
“You have slept for long enough. Now get up and have something. You didn’t have lunch either did you.” Prem caught Boun’s hands and pulled him up.

“Go wash your face and come. I will set up the table.” Prem pushed the lazy Boun into the washroom.

Boun came out and saw a table full of food. The alluring aroma of the food made his stomach grumble.

“I didn’t know that you could cook,” Boun commented taking a seat at the dining table.

“I didn’t cook any of these. My Mae was worried about my health and arranged for a Pa to cook homely food for me. I just heated it up for eating.” Prem said passing the set of culinary to Boun. “I told her that I have a guest today. That’s why there are so many dishes today.”
Boun smiled bitterly. His mother had never cared if he had eaten or not. She wouldn’t even care if he were to die of hunger.

“Hia, is the food not to your liking?” Prem asked seeing that Boun hadn’t touched the food in front of him.
Boun shook his head in denial and dug in.

“Mmm, the food is so yummy.” Boun’s eyes lit up tasting the food.

“I know. I even suggested that she open a restaurant but she said she was too old to cook in large quantities.” Prem sighed.
Halfway through the dinner Boun stared at Prem and asked “Prem, can I ask you something?”

“Since when did you start being so formal, Hia?” Prem chuckled.

“Can I sleep over tonight?” Boun asked carefully. He was unwilling to go back to his place. Compared to this place, his apartment was too cold and lonely.
Prem’s hand that was scooping the rice with a spoon paused for a second.

“You can,” Prem said before resuming eating.

A smile broke out on Boun’s face.

“Eat more. You have lost weight.” Prem placed a meatball on Boun’s plate causing the elder’s smile to grow bigger.
After dinner, Boun and Prem washed the dishes together.

“See in my cupboard if there are any clothes that fit you,” Prem said arranging the dried culinary on the kitchen shelf.

Boun opened the cupboard looking for a change of clothes. After going through them, he chose a pair of shorts and a t-shirt for himself.

Just as he was about to close the cupboard, his eyes fell on a piece of clothing. Boun took it out. It was a bodycon knee-length dress.

Prem saw Boun looking at him weirdly and then noticed the dress he was holding. Prem suddenly rushed over and snatched the dress from Boun and placed it back where it was and closed the cupboard.

“Didn’t know that you had this kind of fetish,” Boun smirked leaning closer to Prem.

“What the heck are you thinking about? That’s my friend’s. She left it here the last time she slept over. She will kill me if she knew that I touched it. You really need to take a bath. You stink.” Prem wrinkled his nose and pushed Boun away from him.

Prem passed him a towel and pointed towards the bathroom.

Standing under the shower, Boun thought ‘He had a girl-friend sleep over at his place. Was she the one from work?’ Several questions popped up in his mind.

Prem knocked on the bathroom door.
“How long are you planning to be in the bathroom for? Don’t expect me to take care of you if you fall sick from standing under the shower for long.”

Boun quickly finished the shower and came out wearing Prem’s clothes which seem to fit him perfectly. He dried his wet hair with a towel while splashing the droplets of water from his hair onto Prem’s face.

“You are really a golden retriever,” Prem commented.

“Help me dry my hair.” Boun passed the towel to Prem before sitting on the couch
Prem took the towel and slowly rubbed Boun’s hair dry.

Boun felt at peace at this moment. He wanted to freeze time. He didn’t want this moment to end.