37. Job

Prem looked out of the tinted glass window as he sipped his bubble tea.

“Sorry, Sorry.” Sammy rushed over. Catching a few breaths she sat down opposite Prem.

“Ma’am, here is your order.” The waiter delivered an iced vanilla latte that Pre had ordered for Sammy beforehand.

“You know me so well.” Sammy smiled and sipped the drink. “How did you know that I was going to be late?”

“I just guessed that your boss wouldn’t let you leave on time.” Prem shrugged.

“You are so right.” Sammy groaned and slumped on the table. “We should have met somewhere we could get some alcohol. I really need some in my system.”

“I need to clock in in a few hours,” Prem said expressionlessly.

“You are no longer a player, dude. You are the coach. You don’t have to follow those rules anymore.”

“If it was just the team, it was okay. But I have to take responsibility for the junior’s training. I have to make sure that everything is in place.”

Prem’s serious tone was making Sammy uncomfortable.

“Ai Prem, you have changed a lot.” Sammy looked at Prem’s poker face. “The last time I saw you like this was when they left. I know this is your coping mechanism and I understand your situation. A lot had happened in this short span of time. But Prem, pressurising yourself and taking on the blame for everything happening around is so not done, buddy.”

“What else am I supposed to do, chubs? Who else is responsible for everything?”

“No one, Prem. No one. You injuring your hand while practising is something natural. It might happen to any player who trains as hard as you did. So is your Phor’s condition. Nothing is your fault. So, stop being so harsh on yourself.” Sammy tried to console her best friend.

Ever since Richard had the stroke and became partially paralysed, Prem had changed into another person and the sudden change was making Sammy feel suffocated on Prem’s behalf.

Prem let out an airy chuckle. Sammy was right. But there was something that she was unaware of, and that was his twisted relationship with Boun.

There was nothing more Prem regretted than meeting Boun. After having cleared his mind of unnecessary thoughts once he got back home, Prem analysed the whole situation with Boun. All of this happened because he was too easy. He had let Boun in without much resistance. That is why he was in such a situation.

“Why did you want to meet me today?” Prem asked shaking off his thoughts about Boun.

“Can’t I call you out to meet without a reason?” Sammy pouted.

“Just tell me what it is.”

“I just wanted to ask how your coaching centre is coming along. Have you found any investors?”

“Nope. Still on square one.” Prem sighed. “Why? Want to invest?”

“Huh. I wish. But I am not that rich.”

“But your boyfriend is loaded.”

Sammy flashed him a fake smile. “I just wanted to ask you if you need help finding help.”

“You can help me find one?” Prem was excited.

“I can try. P’ Ton has a lot of contacts. We can use his help.”

“You are not someone who has such a big heart to do favours. Tell me what’s up.”

“Can’t you just pretend that you don’t understand anything?”

“No. I can’t. Not with you. Come on. Make it quick. I need to head back.” Prem looked at his wristwatch.

“Here’s the thing. I want to quit my job.” Sammy joined an accounting firm after graduation.

“Why? Are those perverts harassing you again?” Prem felt his blood boil. He had heard from Sammy that most of the co-workers were douchebags who took advantage of younger colleagues.

“Kind of. Do you know? I had to work for twelve hours straight for a week because they messed up a client’s data and put the blame on me. I was practically living in the office the whole week.” Sammy groaned.

“Why don’t you report them?”

“I would have if I could. But those people are the shareholder’s relatives. They will escape without trouble and I would end up in one.”

“So, what’s your plan after quitting? Finding a job in another company?”

“Not really. I feel like this is not my thing. That’s why I decided to join you.”

“Join me?” Prem pointed at himself. “I myself am jobless. What will you do if you join me?”

“Let’s run the coaching centre together.”

“Easier said than done.” Prem scoffed. “I have been trying to find an investor for it for a while now and had no luck in finding one.”

“That is exactly why we need to join hands. If we can’t find investors, let’s try to rise some finance ourselves. We can’t just sit and wait.”

“Then what do you want me to do. Get on the top of the table and dance?”

“No, get a real job for yourself. But your idea is not bad too. Bar dancers are high in demand nowadays.”

Prem showed his middle finger at his best friend who was laughing at her own words.

“Do you think I am not trying to find one? It is not easy to find one. Especially since I will have to leave the job once my ‘sick leave’ from the team is over.”

“That is because you are being picky. Yesterday, I talked to P’ Benz on the phone and he told me that you declined the job offer from N&P. Why did you do that? P’ Benz understands your situation and is willing to make an exception for you. Then why don’t you give it a try?” Sammy was puzzled.

Taking up the job would mean a gateway to a lot of connections. Unlike any other company, N&P would provide Prem with direct access to big clients and investors. Sammy could only see merits in the whole deal.

“That is exactly why I don’t want to take this job up, Sammy. I don’t want to take advantage of my friendship with P’ Benz.” Prem would have taken the job if he hadn’t known that N&P was co-owned by Boun. He didn’t want to do anything that would link him back to Boun, not after all the emotional turmoil he had been through in the past month.

“Prem, this is the twenty-first century. You need to learn to take advantage of your connections. Or else you will end up being a stepping stone for others to walk on.” Sammy felt that Prem was being too naïve.

“I will figure another way out soon. Don’t worry about that. And if you want to quit your job. Just quit. Don’t worry that you will not have a place to go to. You can just stay at my place. My apartment always has enough room for you.”

“Ai Prem, that is not what I am talking about.” Sammy tried to reason.

“Sammy, it’s getting late. I need to get going. I have to do the role call for the new kids.” Prem left without another word leaving a helpless Sammy behind.