109. Family

"Happy birthday, na Hia. Stay happy and healthy, na." Prem's words resonated inside Boun's head driving him crazy.

"ARGH" Boun smashed the wooden stool into the coffee table, aggressively.

It was his birthday. It was that day again. The day he hated the most. The day his life turned upside down. The day that his life turned into a nightmare. The day that gifted him only pain and trauma.

The memories of that day, flashed in front of his eyes reopening the deep scar that it had left behind in his heart and soul. He crumbled in pain and agony.

He wanted to forget everything. He wanted to remove every single memory he had of that dreadful day.

He destroyed everything he could lay his hands on. He smashed things, tore up the cushions, wreaking havoc. He left nothing intact.

"HIA." Prem's voice brought him back to reality. His body froze. He panicked. Waves of fear washed over him,

Prem had seen him. Prem had seen him being a mess. Prem had seen him acting like a madman. Prem had seen him going crazy and losing control.

He hated it. He hated being seen like this by Prem. He hated being seen as weak and vulnerable to his Pao.

He wanted Prem to see him as a strong and dependable person and not as a weak wimp who need others to take care of him.

The look of worry and concern that Prem shot at him made his defences melt away. He let Prem carry him back to their bedroom and dress the wound that he had incurred during his destructive phase.

Prem had always been patient with him. Be it this time or the last time, when he had the breakdown. No matter how messed up he was, Prem would always be there to hold his hand and pull him out of the mess. Prem's constant efforts comforted him. But it also send him into dread thinking that one day if Prem was no longer willing to do that for him, he didn't know if he would ever be able to handle the fact.

The duo lay on the bed cuddling with each other. Boun lay on Prem's arms trying his best to calm his worries and anxiety down. He didn't want to burden his Pao.

"Pao" Boun called meekly.

"Hmm?" Prem turned his attention to Boun.

"Today is my birthday." Boun drew circles on Prem's chest with his fingers. He knew that Prem

Prem hummed. "I know. I wanted to celebrate it with you. After all, it is your first birthday with me. But P' Ton today me that you don't like celebrating your birthdays. So, I thought of keeping it low."

"Aren't you going to ask me why?"

"I know that if it is something you want me to know, then you will tell me yourself or else you won't tell me even if I ask you."

"So, you aren't curious at all?"

"If I say no, it would be a lie. I am indeed curious. But I am willing to wait for the day you would tell me." Prem looked down at the silver-golden head on his chest.

He couldn't let Boun know that he already knew the reason from the details Fluke had gathered for him. He had to put on an act in order to put Boun at ease.

Boun was quiet. He played with Prem's shirt button as if it was the most interesting thing in the world.

"Have I ever told you about my family, Pao?" Boun looked up at Prem, resting his cheek on Prem's chest, listening to his strong heartbeat.

"No."

"I actually have one to talk about. At least not anymore." Boun chuckled in self-pity.

Prem held Boun's hand and kissed it gently, as a source of encouragement. He didn't want Boun to have another breakdown.