96. Grandparents

A light breeze blew into the traditional Thai style study room through the open glass doors. The light rays filtering into the room got reflected on the small pond in the middle of the indoor garden, brightening up the whole space. Ancient calligraphies and paintings hanging on the wall of the room added to its grace.

"Old master, the young master is here." Seb, the head Steward of the Guntachai family said bowing respectfully.

Sitting in front of him was his master, Jen Surasak Guntachai, the current head of the Guntanchai family. He looked like an older version of Boun. He looked no older than forty even though he was in his late seventies. One could see that he had taken good care of himself from his strong lean muscular body, wrinkle-free skin and jet-black hair.

Dressed in a traditional Chinese tunic, Jen sat on the rattan chair sipping Longjing tea from the porcelain tea cup from the Ming dynasty. His actions and body language screamed of elegance.

"Let him stand there." Jen's cold voice sent shivers down the old Steward's spine.

"Just let him come in, dear. The child is coming back home after so many years." Tuk Usanee, the mistress of the Guntanchai family pleaded with her husband for her beloved grandson.

"The Guntanchai family is not a place where one can come and go as they please." Jen glanced at his wife.

"He is not just anyone, is he?" Tuk smiled at her stubborn husband. No matter what he said, she knew that he loved Boun from the bottom of his heart.

"He is a stranger to me." Jen put down his empty tea cup.

"A stranger with the Guntanchai family's blood flowing through his veins. " Tuk poured warm tea into the empty porcelain cup.

Jen didn't reply. He inhaled the soothing smell of the tea and took a sip savouring it.

An elegant smile spread across Tuk's face as she didn't hear any opposition from her husband.

"Seb, tell him to come in," Tuk instructed the steward.

"Khrab." The steward bowed respectfully at his mistress and left the room.

" Don't be so hard on the kid when he comes on." Tuk chided her headstrong husband.

" I don't have the habit of making things difficult for strangers. " Jen sulked.

Tuk was about to retort when they heard the knocking sound. The couple instantly straightened up.

"Come in," Jen's commanding voice revibrated through the walls of the room. The door slowly opened revealing their grandson.

Boun took a deep breath and exhale before walking into the room. He was nervous as hell. The two people sitting inside the room were the people he respected the most in the world. The last time he saw them, he had made them disappointed in him.

He had never had the guts to go to them through all these years despite wanting to do it several times. This time he was left with no option than to go back and meeting them. He knew he had to do it as fast as possible and could not push it back like he used to in the past.

" Swadee Khrab Khun Pu, Khun Yay." He respectfully waied to his grandparents. He didn't dare raise his head and look eye to eye-with the couple.

The old couple just nodded in acknowledgement. Both of them showed straight faces even though they were beaming internally with pride.

"What brings Khun Noppanut this way?" Jen asked, not forgetting to add a hint of sarcasm to his question.

Boun nervously bit his lip and got on his knees. " I am here to apologize for my mistakes and take punishment."