Chapter 22: Hot and Sour Noodles

"Didn't you refute it?" Mother Gu said unhappily, "Look at you three grown men, especially you two brothers, each one is as big as the other, how can you be so angry? They are gossiping, don't you have a mouth?"

  "Mom, we told you." Gu Shangyong explained immediately, "Dad said Mumu is cooking at home."

  "Mumu learned to read and write without telling her in-laws, so we didn't dare tell others that Mumu taught the children at home." Gu Shangwei explained, "These people gossip about others all day long and have no control over their words. We are worried that if we tell this, it will soon get to my in-laws, which will be bad."

  Mother Gu thought about it and said, "That's right."

  "Then what do they say about Mu Mu cooking at home?" Zhang Caiping asked immediately.

  "They don't believe it at all." Gu Shang said courageously, "They even said that we said it for the sake of our family's reputation."

  "Bah!" Wang Cuizhen was so angry, "Mumu has worked so hard, cooking, researching snacks, and even going to town with us to set up a stall. And then she has to teach the kids to read when she comes back. They know nothing!"

  Zhang Caiping walked out without saying a word.

  "Caiping, where are you going?" Wang Cuizhen asked quickly, stretching her neck.

  "I'm going to town for a while." Zhang Caiping said, "I've made a lot of money these past two days, so I'm going to cut some cloth for Mu Mu."

  Wang Cuizhen hurriedly followed, "Why are you thinking of buying cloth for Mu Mu?"

  "Shut up those people!" Zhang Caiping said angrily, "Don't they think our explanations are just to cover up? Then let them think whatever they want! If they want to be Mumu and not work, then that's fine! If Mumu doesn't work, we're happy with that, and we'll make them mad!"

  "Not only is our family happy, I'm also going to buy some cloth for Mumu and make her two new sets of clothes!" said Zhang Caiping.

  Since the villagers didn't believe their explanation, Zhang Caiping felt that no matter how much they explained, it would be useless.

  Those villagers had already made up their minds to laugh at them.

  Then just don't explain it!

  "Cai Ping is right!" said Gu's mother. "Let's just live our own lives and don't care what they say!"

  "The more they dislike it and want to stir up trouble, the more we cannot do what they want!" Gu

  The mother said, "Wait a moment."

  Mother Gu turned around and went back into the house.

  After a while, he took out a bag of money and stuffed it into Zhang Caiping's pocket. "You have only been setting up the stall for two days. How can you afford to spend the money you have earned with great difficulty? Use this to buy things. Remember to buy something beautiful and bright for Mu Mu."

  "Also, buy one for each of you and make two new sets of clothes." Gu's mother never favored one over the other.

  "Mother, I don't need it." Zhang Caiping said hurriedly, "I have enough clothes. It's mainly to shut those people up. Besides, I see that Mu Mu didn't bring many clothes, and the colors are not bright. She doesn't look like a newlywed at all."

  "Besides, as the second sister-in-law, I have never given anything to my new sister-in-law. This time I used the money I earned to buy cloth for her," said Zhang Caiping.